Old 25-09-2010, 10:40 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default How to preserve some pumpkins for a month until Halloween

hr(bob) wrote:
We have 5 nice Halloween-sized carving pumpkins in our garden, but the
associated vines are just about dried up and I don't want the pumpkins
to rot on the ground or in our garage, at least not until after
Halloween. What is the best way to preserve them for a month until we
carve them up. Chicago area, so no frost yet.

You could refrigerate them. It depends on the cultivar but if they are not
damaged they ought to last a month in a cool dry place not refrigerated. I
have some that were cut last May stored that way, a few have rotted but
many lasted.

David