Old 30-09-2010, 09:17 PM posted to rec.gardens
Newbie Newbie is offline

Default Coring v Spike lawn aerators + How effective is Mantis an aerator?

In article , Brooklyn1
wrote:

: Mantis has a aerating/dethatching attachment that I'd seriously
: consider for a smallish lawn... every gardener needs a Mantis, best
: gardening investment ever... it tills my 50' X 50' vegetable garden
: more than 8" deep with as much effort as walking a small dog.

I am seriously considering Mantis. At $500 for the tiller, dethatching,
and aerator package, it is cheaper than other powered options, and
would be a lot more convenient than any manual options. (Our lawn is
small, but bodies too are not what they used to be a few decades ago!)

However, my one doubt about aeration is that Mantis attachment appears
to be "spike" variety, not "coring". IOW it just punches holes rather
than remove cores. I keep reading that coring aeration is much better.

If you have used both kinds, I would appreciate a comparison, if one is
really better. Or, we know Mantis would be convenient, but how
effective it is as an aerator?