View Single Post
  #10   Report Post  
Old 07-10-2010, 02:57 PM

First recorded activity by GardenBanter: Oct 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skramillou View Post
Sæll hr.oskar,

I just moved (back) to Iceland and it is with great enthusiasm I randomly came across your post!

Im interested both in pc and ecovillages, and it is with agony I live in the city center (due to daily university obligations) without garden, air and natural surroundings. Im eager to "get dirt under my nails", engage in pc living patterns at a lower environmental impact and nuture/develop compassionate meaningfull social relationships.

I'd like to know more about your projects; I have a lot of energy, positive karma, willingness and curriosity to share,

Cram
Hey!

I hope oscar or cram are still online, still checking postings? I am studying architecture in oslo, norway, trying to get in contact with icelanders growing permaculturally or ecologically at least, and to share their experiences and knowledge with me!

I am planning a garden in Isafjórdur, in north-western Iceland. I want to figure out how to be gentle to the ecosystems of the place and still have edible plants and maybe even trees growing there, strong enough to endure the salt, wind and cold. Someone told me only birchtrees - and maybe not even they - are authentic to the icelandic landscape. What do you think of bringing in other species? Are there any kinds of appletrees growing in iceland? spinach? what kinds of potatoes? do you eat any of the algae in the sea? do mushrooms grow there?

As you see, i have many questions... are there any icelandic permaculture people out there?

--Tove