Old 30-01-2011, 05:06 PM posted to alt.home.repair,alt.consumers.pest-control,rec.gardens
Brooklyn1 Brooklyn1 is offline

Default Flour & cement powder rat poison - queries

On Sun, 30 Jan 2011 02:53:51 -0800 (PST), Gas Bag
wrote:

On Jan 26, 10:58*pm, Gas Bag wrote:
I've recently come across some articles that mention you can make your
own "non-toxic" rat/mouse posion by making a 50:50 mixture of regular/
corn flour and cement powder. *They eat the mixture, then go in search
of water. *Once they drink some water....game over. *I have a few
specific questions, in relation to this D.I.Y. rat poison.

- How effective is this mixture at killing rats and/or mice?

- Assuming you place this mixture indoors (e.g. in the roof space),
will this poison ONLY take effect once the rodent goes outside for a
drink of water? *The reason being, I'd want to avoid at-all-costs
having Ratty "snuff it" in my roof space, then having the most God-
awful smell to contend with a few days later.

- Is there anything that can be added to this mixture that would make
it extremely enticing to rats and/or mice? *e.g. Powdered parmesan
cheese, sugar, salt, a little soy/fish sauce, some type of finely
chopped meat (raw or cooked)? *I am just taking a wild guess here, as
I don't know what would attract them.

- Most of all, would tile grouting powder, used for bathroom tiling,
work just as well as cement powder in this D.I.Y. mixture?

I really would appreciate some advice. *Thanks.

Quite a lot of replies, but I am hoping someone can actually respond
specifically to my queries. Where I may place a flour/cement mix,
there would be no other animals, only rats or mice.

Totally sealing up the roofspace 100% is not a viable option at the moment.

Why not?