Old 06-04-2011, 03:48 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Beans, danger of cross pollination?

On 06/04/2011 12:38, Baz wrote:

I only know of one chap who grows runner bean "Streamline" and I have some
seed from him, (they are rather old) and with what you have said about them
perhaps it's time I gave them a try. I have grown "Scarlet Emperor" since I
started gardening and have found them a bit stringy later on so maybe time
to try something new(to me). Or both.
Baz

I've been growing runner beans, mainly Streamline for around twenty
years. The secrets to good crops a
1. Good fertile soil.
2. Lots of sunshine.
3. Keep well watered - they are very thirsty plants and hate to dry out.
4. Pick pods between three inches and six inches long for eating.
5. If there are too many pods growing for you to eat, pick them at 6
inches anyway and either give them away, blanch and freeze them or throw
them into the compost bin. Do not leave them growing or the plant will
stop flowering and creating new pods.
6. Pods longer than 6 inches can start to become stringy so back to
point 5 again - always pick the pods whether you want them or not.
7. If your neighbours won't answer the door when you knock, it means
you've given them too many runner beans and they are sick of the sight
of them too.

Regarding the variety Streamline I've never had any problems with
blackfly, greenfly or any other pests. The only problem I do have with
them is the foliage makes my arms itch when picking the beans, must be
some sort of allergic reaction, so need to wear a long sleeve shirt to
pick them.

--
David in Normandy.
by a filter and not reach my inbox.