Old 31-05-2011, 02:10 PM
kay kay is offline
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barb[_6_] View Post
Hi, I have a very young apple tree, planted this spring and only 5ft
tall. I've just noticed some flat brown patches on some of the
leaves, and wonder whether you knowledgeable folk could tell me what
it is? Is it some kind of fungus I can spray against?

I'm worried it may be some horrible disease that I need to "nip in the
bud". The tree is otherwise thriving - I've kept it reasonably
watered throughout the dry spell here in Hants.
It's quite possibly a mineral deficiency. Don't leap to spray it or apply fertiliser until you know exactly what it is.

As to watering - you no doubt know this but others may not be aware - you need something like a full 2 gallon watering can every week - heavy watering once a week is better than light watering more frequently, which can entice the roots to run along just under the surface.