Old 10-06-2011, 08:32 PM
Drobium's Avatar
Drobium Drobium is offline
Registered User

Location: Bedworth ,Warwickshire
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by RachaelDavidson View Post
We've just purchased a new cantilever glass veranda for our garden patio. At the moment there is a 5 year old apple tree in the space, about 15ft tall.

We're wondering if we can dig it up and relocate it? Have absolutely no idea how to do this or how to care fore the tree once it's been moved (about 30ft). any guidance or suggestions would be welcome.
You can move the thing but there are afew things to do and also to bare in mind.
The branches of the tree will need to be drastically pruned back by about 2/3's otherwise this will stress the tree too much.
The branches will need to be pruned as no matter how big a rootball you can dig out with the tree, you'll have certainly have chopped off lots of the fine feeder roots which is unavoidable.

Do try to get as big a rootball as is possible though, this is the key to sucess!
If the tree is 15' tall, then the rootball and pruned branches should be of similar proportions (or maybe the rootball bigger if you can) say two and a half feet top and bottom.

Try to get hold of some sacking to wrap the rootball in after you've got the tree out of the ground, and keep the sacking wet to help stop drying out.
Make sure you have a big hole ready for the tree to go in to, as you want the thing to be out of the ground for as little time as possible.
Into the hole dig in some well rotted manure and some bonemeal, and if you can get it, some microrhiza rootgrow fungus, as this will help to encourage the roots back out after planting.
The hole needs to be at least 7-10" bigger around all sides than the rootball of the freshly dug up tree as this too will help the roots to break out back into the soil.
Fill the hole up with water right to the brim a couple of times to ensure that there will be plenty of moisture for the tree once it's planted, especially if you are in one of the drought stricken areas.

Next get a couple of folk to help you move the tree into position and plant the tree into the hole at the same level as it originally was in the ground.
Firm the soil down really well with the heel of your boot and make sure you have a good stake to ensure the tree cannot move around in the wind, as if it does, then you can get what is known as rootrock, where the rootball of the plant moves around under the ground and the freshly grown root are snapped off due to movement, and water in well.

Now for the most crucial bit WATERING!
I cannot stress enough how important this is, especially as we are in a serious drought and rainfall is doing absolutely nothing towards watering the garden.
I'd recommend making a little 'dam' with some of the soil around the edge of the newly planted tree, so as when you water, it's not able to run away and it stays where it's most needed.
You'll need to water at least once every couple of days or more if the temperatures get hot, and if you think of giving it around 2-3 watering can fulls of water per watering, or the same amount from a hosepipeish.

The tree will initially sulk and not do an awful lot, but hopefully, it should show signs of regrowth towards the back end of the summer.
This is a good sign, and generally means that the roots below ground are regrowing too!
Don't worry about feeding it this year though, as the manure and bonemeal are plenty enough.

The watering regime should finish when the first autumn rains are enough to keep the ground constantly moist and you should definately stop watering once the leaves fall.

Next year just keep an eye on the tree for signs of underwatering as it may not have grown enough roots yet, but only if it's been a dry winter and spring, otherwise I'd be inclined to leaving it alone and letting the plant 'seek' out it's own water by sending it's roots downwards.
Watering established plants only leads to the roots coming to the surface, which leaves then more at risk from drought.

Well, hope this helps, if you have anything else to ask then don't hesitate.
:-)
Yay! it's spring!