Old 10-06-2011, 10:14 PM posted to rec.gardens
Brooklyn1 Brooklyn1 is offline

Default Moving an apple tree...

On Fri, 10 Jun 2011 11:46:33 -0700 (PDT), Heathcliff
wrote:

On Jun 10, 5:52*am, RachaelDavidson RachaelDavidson.
wrote:
We've just purchased a new cantilever glass veranda for our garden
patio. At the moment there is a 5 year old apple tree in the space,
about 15ft tall.

We're wondering if we can dig it up and relocate it? Have absolutely no
idea how to do this or how to care fore the tree once it's been moved
(about 30ft). any guidance or suggestions would be welcome.

--
RachaelDavidson

Is this a do-it-yourself project? There are contractors who
specialize in moving trees and have a specialized piece of equipment
(called a tree spade, at least in the U.S.) for doing so - see, e.g.,
http://www.ccicrane.com/tree.html. Alternatively, with a tree this
size you could probably have a good landscaping service move it by
hand. Or you could move it yourself.

The key is to get as big of a root ball with it as possible. In other
words, as much dirt as possible coming with it. For a tree this size,
maybe a three-foot diameter ball, which is going to be (a) a lot of
work to dig out, and (b) really heavy to lift and carry. First dig
the hole where the tree will go, then dig out the tree and put it in
the hole. Do not lift the tree by the trunk; lift the root ball from
underneath, using shovels as levers. If your soil is very sandy or
crumbly you may need to wrap up the root ball with fabric to help keep
it intact (e.g., an old sheet). Afterwards, no special care except
lots of water to help it get through the shock.

To get an idea of what you'll be dealing with, go to a tree nursery or
garden store and look at the trees they have for sale there. They may
have trees almost the same size for sale, pre-dug, so you can see how
big a container they are in and check out what would be involved in
moving it. -- H

It's very difficult for me to believe that a five year old apple tree
is about 15 feet tall. A five year old apple tree is maybe 1' caliper
and can't be more than 6' tall, and has a root ball that will easily
fit a five gallon pail. If truly five years old I'd dig it up with a
garden spade (pruning it's roots will help it acclimate to a move),
should take like ten minutes and move it to its new previously
prepared home... trim off about 1/3 if its top growth, water well, and
it should be fine. A fifteen foot tall apple tree would be more like
fifteen years old and 2 1/2" caliper. I can't think of any five year
old tree that can attain a 15' height.