Old 09-08-2011, 02:30 AM posted to rec.gardens

Default Growing Day lilies in AZ

On 8/8/11 4:42 PM, Chris Thompson wrote:
"David E. Ross" wrote in news:j1p5m0$lq2$1
@news.albasani.net:

On 8/7/11 7:50 PM, MJ Buzardbait wrote:
I would like to know if Day lilies can be grown in south central AZ.
I have just returned from the Midwest and have decided that I
would like to grow these flowers here.

Sunset's "Western Garden Book" says that daylilies (Hemerocallis) will
do quite well in all parts of the west except Alaska. I suggest you
wait until October to plant them. Then, the daytime air temperatures
will start to cool while the soil remains warm. This will encourage
root growth without putting stress on the foliage.

Anyone in or west of the Rocky Mountains who is serious about gardening
should have a copy of Sunset's "Western Garden Book". Once you get it,
the first thing you need to do is determine your Sunset climate zone.
While US Department of Agriculture zones only consider winter low
temperatures, Sunset zones also consider total amount of winter chill
(hours below 45F), summer high temperatures, humidity, winds, etc.

Is there a comparable volume for those of us east of the Mississippi?

"Sunset" is a monthly magazine that calls itself the magazine of western
living. There is a Sunset garden book intended for nation-wide use, but
I do not know anything about its contents or the quality thereof.

--
David E. Ross
Climate: California Mediterranean, see