Old 01-09-2011, 11:05 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default The toughest grass in the world?

zxcvbob wrote:
Billy wrote:
In article ,
zxcvbob wrote:

David Hare-Scott wrote:
Brooklyn1 wrote:
Grow hay. Hay is ten times tougher and grows ten times faster
than common turf grasses and when mowed at a two inch length
looks as good if not better than any lawn. The only negatives are
that hay is coarse, not very comfortable to walk on barefoot...
but would probably work well for racing toy cars... and you'd
need to mow it every other day at a minimum, during hot wet
weather mow every day.
What grass species are characteristic of those cut for hay that are
not found in common turf grasses? What specifically is hay seed so
that the OP can buy it?

Orchard grass, tall fescue, Coastal bermudagrass, bahiagrass, etc.
Tall-growing coarse grasses, but you probably don't want
Johnsongrass (and probably not red clover nor alfalfa.) Some white
clover mixed in wouldn't be bad.

-Bob

Why the preference for white clover?

It hugs the ground. Red clover is upright; you wouldn't be able to
mow it.
bob

But we are after tough species that will take foot and wheel traffic, clover
doesn't fit that. If we were establishing a pasture it would be different.

David