Old 29-01-2012, 04:28 AM posted to rec.gardens

Default Egg shells as plant food

On 1/28/12 4:02 PM, Higgs Boson wrote:
Amigas & amigos, years ago I read that eggshell water is good for
plants. I don't remember more. I kept the container on the side
steps. NEVER smelled anything like the odor emanating from the water-
immersed egg shells.

Now I started saving them again, but before I concoct yet another
witches brew, could I sample the NG as to the usefulness/efficacy of
this project? If yes, then on which plants and how often.

TIA

HB

Egg shells tend to make soil more alkaline. Where I live, this is
definitely not a good thing since both our soils and our water already
are quite alkaline.

For calcium, I use gypsum (calcium sulfate), which tends to be neutral.

--
David E. Ross
Climate: California Mediterranean, see