Old 30-01-2012, 08:00 PM posted to rec.gardens
Father Haskell Father Haskell is offline

Default Egg shells as plant food

On Jan 30, 7:13*am, songbird wrote:
Higgs Boson wrote:
Amigas & amigos, years ago I read that eggshell water is good for
plants. *I don't remember more. *I kept the container on the side
steps. *NEVER smelled anything like the odor emanating from the water-
immersed egg shells.

Now I started saving them again, but before I concoct yet another
witches brew, could I sample the NG as to the usefulness/efficacy of
this project? *If yes, *then on which plants and how often.

* for me recycling eggshells wasn't worth
the added expense. *a bag of agricultural
lime ran about $6.50 for 50lbs. *at the
rate i use it that should keep me a good
20 years or so.

* songbird

Dolomitic lime adds calcium and magnesium, plus helps
to keep pH levels stable. Eggshells have the most benefit
with vermicomposting, keeps the crew healthy.