Old 31-01-2012, 02:10 AM posted to rec.gardens
Father Haskell Father Haskell is offline

Default Egg shells as plant food

On Jan 30, 7:40*pm, Brooklyn1 Gravesend1 wrote:
On Mon, 30 Jan 2012 12:01:15 -0800 (PST), Father Haskell

wrote:
On Jan 28, 10:28*pm, "David E. Ross" wrote:
On 1/28/12 4:02 PM, Higgs Boson wrote:

Amigas & amigos, years ago I read that eggshell water is good for
plants. *I don't remember more. *I kept the container on the side
steps. *NEVER smelled anything like the odor emanating from the water-
immersed egg shells.

Now I started saving them again, but before I concoct yet another
witches brew, could I sample the NG as to the usefulness/efficacy of
this project? *If yes, *then on which plants and how often.

TIA

HB

Egg shells tend to make soil more alkaline. *Where I live, this is
definitely not a good thing since both our soils and our water already
are quite alkaline.

For calcium, I use gypsum (calcium sulfate), which tends to be neutral..

Drywall scraps are a cheap, if not free, source.

Drywall does not readily dissolve into the soil and it also contains
several elements that may not be desirable, especially for food crops.

Fresh, regular white and gray sheetrock is gypsum, silicon,
cellulose, stuff that's already present in soil. Scrap from
demolition
contains a witch's brew of who the hell knows what, which should
be avoided, of course.

I wouldn't consider any building materials safe for amending soil. The
last people who lived here dumped a good sized pile of drywall in the
woods and it's still there in the same condition it was when I noticed
it more than ten years ago.

Needs to be busted up. One good soaking rain will handle the rest.

I strongly suggest disposing of all
building materials properly and buy agri lime, it's cheap... I've
never seen wallboard marked Safe for Food Crops.

Guess what clay buster is made from.

Actually I think
people who cheap-out by using inapropriate materials for gardening are
definitely mentally ill... this Haskill creep is very sick.

I prefer "cheap."