Old 20-02-2012, 12:47 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Janet Janet is offline

Default Pond sludge

In article e6d6342b-0895-46be-8a5f-
, says...

Why did I ever decide to have a fish pond? I've had a fishless pond
for years, with frogs, newts and lots of creepies and I rarely gave it
a second thought year after year when it was carpeted with Duckweed.
Now, with the fish there seem to be loads of problems, including foxes
attacking the pond, keeping the water oxygenated and free from weed,
and no longer having welcomed Newts or creepies and no more frogspawn.

How many fish do you have to have to lose all the spawn (and tadpoles,
as someone else posted)? Mine are certainly big enough to eat tadpoles
but I've never seen them doing so and there was no visible reduction in
the black swarms last year.

Frogs haven't re-appeared yet here, and no spawn yet, but it's still a
bit chilly

I'd love to have newts but I doubt there are any within newt-commute
distance

Janet (Scotland)