Old 22-03-2012, 06:17 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Rod[_5_] Rod[_5_] is offline

Default Tips of camellia sinensis leaves are turning brown

On Wednesday, 21 March 2012 09:10:16 UTC, BlackThumb wrote:
Hello,

This is my first time posting here. I'm from the south-east of England.
Could be East, depending on who's providing the weather news!

I received a camellia sinensis in the post. It's about 3-years old and
came in a cardboard box with scrunched up newspaper to hold it in place.
It looked healthy when I received it.

I have put it by a window that gets sun in the morning and last night I
watered it a bit as the soil was dry, but I have noticed the very tips
of the leaves are turning brown. I just went round the pot and put on
about a couple of bottle lid fulls until there was no dry soil left.

Does anyone know what could be causing this?

Thank you.

--
BlackThumb

My guess would be sun scorch and low humidity around the foliage. They do best under a thin high tree canopy in humus rich well drained but reliably moist soil.

Rod