Old 11-04-2012, 12:41 PM
kay kay is offline
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Hill View Post
Are there any other fruit trees to polinate them, most apples are not
self pollinators
see Fruit Tree Pollination Guide
In particular, Bramley doesn't produce viable pollen, so not only does it need a pollinator, you need a second pollinator to pollinate the pollinator.

There again, if there are other apple trees on the allotments, you may get away with it, if they flower at the same time - but you'd be dependent for your apple crop on other people's decisions.

I'd want to know the rootstock, because this will determine whether you get a small tree that needs staking all its life, or a huge tree which will shade out your entire allotment and that of your neighbour as well.

And I suppose I'd also be wondering whether I really want to buy a Bramley, which is readily available in the supermarket, or whether I'd prefer to buy some other cooking apple with a different taste.