Old 11-04-2012, 11:54 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
David WE Roberts[_4_] David WE Roberts[_4_] is offline

Default Fruit tree prices

"Dave Hill" wrote in message
On Apr 10, 6:18 pm, Rod wrote:
On Tuesday, 10 April 2012 17:24:41 UTC+1, David WE Roberts wrote:

Just wandering through Homebase and they have containerised fruit trees,
2
for £20.

Now I don't usually trust HomeBase to be cheap for anything (especially
if
Jamie Oliver branded) but Google sugests that £10 a tree is quite a
resonable price, with most bare rooted trees being slightly more.

Are these good value?

Thinking probably of a Victoria plum and a Bramley apple to go on the
allotment.

I think I'd want a peek at the roots. I'd also want to know what the
rootstocks were. 3-4ft isn't very big even for a maiden apple tree on a
typical dwarfing/semi-dwarfing rootstock like M106 or M26.

Rod- Hide quoted text -

**
More to the point, if you are going to plant them on your alotment, I
wonder.........
Are you allowed to plant trees
Are there any other fruit trees to polinate them, most apples are not
self pollinators
see http://www.shrubs.co.uk/fruit-tree-p...uide-419-c.asp
**

Thanks for the link.

Next plot has plums - and Victorias are self fertile.
Next plot also has apples and there are more around the site.
I note that Bramley is shown as 'T' - needing two other varieties - we
managed at our previous house with a Bramley and a Queen Cox so presumably
there was a third one around somewhere.
This allotment is quite old and there are all sorts of things on there - no
pigs anymore, but still plenty of chickens despite the Council's gentle
disapproval (I am told that there is a 1950s law which allows the keeping of
chicken on allotments).
So a couple more fruit trees will not make much difference.

[Not even bunny]

Helmuth von Moltke the Elder

(\__/)
(='.'=)