Old 11-04-2012, 06:51 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
David WE Roberts[_4_] David WE Roberts[_4_] is offline

Default Fruit tree prices

"Charlie Pridham" wrote in message

"David WE Roberts" wrote in message

"Bob Hobden" wrote in message
"David WE Roberts" wrote ...

Just wandering through Homebase and they have containerised fruit trees,
2 for £20.

Now I don't usually trust HomeBase to be cheap for anything (especially
if Jamie Oliver branded) but Google sugests that £10 a tree is quite a
resonable price, with most bare rooted trees being slightly more.

Are these good value?

Thinking probably of a Victoria plum and a Bramley apple to go on the
allotment.

£10 per tree sounds very cheap to me, what's wrong with them?

Nothing that I can see - about 3-4' tall and healthy looking, with roots
covered.

--

Do they indicate the rootstock used? Just look for clean undamaged stems
seems a good price

I now have :-)

Victoria Plum - semi dwarfing Myrobalan - self fertile
Greengage - semi dwarfing Myrobalan - self fertile
Bramley - semi dwarfing M7 - pollenator for ER
Egremont Russet - semi dwarfing M7 - pollenator for B

All trees are 2m tall.

The label states that the trees are not established in the pots i.e. they
have been put in the pots to transport and sell and have not been in them
long term.
I did see a couple where there were roots showing above the post suggesting
that the pot wasn't really deep enough for that particular tree.

However all four look pretty good, and I've just been to Lidl which has
dwarf fruit trees for £9.99 so the price still seems reasonable.

Now to go and plant them out whilst the weather is nice and showery.

Cheers

Dave R
[Not even bunny]

Helmuth von Moltke the Elder