Old 01-06-2012, 12:24 PM
Terry Bond Terry Bond is offline
Registered User

Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by tenchman View Post
Hi Group,

My productive rhubarb has thrown up a large seed head, which has raised the
following questions.
1. Should it be removed and how?
2. Is it safe to keep harvesting the crop?
3. Is this a sign that the root needs splitting ( its been there for years)
4. Could it be overfed? (its growing next to the compost bin and gets a
regular supply compost leaching.

Please can anyone advise me on this.

Thanks in advance to all those that take the time to reply.

David.
Hi, I've just read this and the replies. I too have new plants (grown from seeds taken from an old plant) which have gone to seed already (May). I've cut them out and the affected crowns (the big ones!) will not now produce anything more this year. Does anyone know what conditions cause rhubarb to go to seed and how to prevent it?
Thanks for your help
Terry