View Single Post
  #4   Report Post  
Old 01-06-2012, 02:17 PM

First recorded activity by GardenBanter: May 2012

Many thanks for the quick responses

We live in Belfast, Northern Ireland so generally do not have many winters with prolonged sub zero temperatures and generally are not subjected to very high temperatures for any prolonged period. Plenty of rainfall that is for sure though! Not sure on the soil PH etc but we do have Golden Bamboo growing successfully in another part of the garden.

I was looking at the Fargesia Utilis, this particular one could be good as it is very bushy looking from the photos and can be grown in shade. Additionally the area it is to be planted is next to raised decking, so on the house side it would be supported at a height of between 9-12feet by the decking and fence that, hopefully that would reduce drooping over the the decking to a great degree and encourage it to droop down the natural slope where it would be planted.

In addition to this 20m run I also have another 20m run at a lower level which requires a less tall bamboo (anything up to 10 feet), I am thinking of using Fargesia Dracocephala it seems to be very dense when mature so will hopefully provide a good sound barrier also.

In all of this though, if I could get faster growing running bamboo's I would go with them, if I could be reasonably sure they wouldn't take over the whole place really I guess I am hoping for a noise screen sooner rather than later with all this.

Thanks again,
M