Old 22-04-2003, 05:44 PM
Timothy

Default Mowing wet grass?

On Tue, 22 Apr 2003 06:31:25 -0700, Charles Woolever wrote:

We were never allowed to mow wet grass growing up. Two main reasons were
clogging and that the wetness caused the blade of grass to "slip" off the
blade rather than cutting the grass. It left you with a more unkempt lawn
as some blades would be cut and others weren't.

That said, I live in Western NY and rain or shine, the office parks around
here have their lawns mowed by the larger riding mowers. After they have
passed by my window, the lawn looks like it was hardly touched. I've seen
them mow in a driving rain.

Seems to me, if I were the landlord, I wouldn't pay to have them mow on
that day. Skip the week and come back the next.

Any thoughts on mowing with riding mowers when its raining?

Good day Charles, concidering I've done my fair share of mowing in the
rain, thought I'd give you some insights. We wern't allowed to mow in the
rain as kids due to the fact your very likly to slip and wack off your
foot! Also those old mowers were most likly side discharge mowers and not
mulcher mowers. The mulcher mowers suck the grass up off the ground rather
well and they seem to cut rather well even though it is wet. The commercial
rider mowers have so much power and the blades have so many rpm's behind
them, not much stands a chance as long as the blades are good and sharp
or other wise your mower will 'puke' grass everywhere. Instead of the
grass mulching, the dull blades will ball up the grass and 'puke' it out
the sides of the mower. Now that's a fun mess to clean.
The thing to remember is if the maintaince company was to skip that day,
it would take them the better part of a work week to catch up, if at all.
When your running a company that maintains a 1000+ lawns, you can afford
to get behind.
--
http://yard-works.netfirms.com