Old 18-07-2012, 08:00 PM
SurfGirl's Avatar
SurfGirl SurfGirl is offline
Registered User

Location: Lima, El Perú, SouthAmerica
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jordan Legare View Post
Hi Maggs,
would you please provide a couple pictures of your
seedlings and a close-up on one of the leaves.

What temperature was the water?

Were the seedlings fully exposed to the sun?

How long was germination?

Please details substratum used?

Could we also have a look at the roots?

But..Hey!..you managed to grow Lemon seedlings..

Jordan

Hi Jordan, thanks for your interest n my case...

This is so frustrating, I don't know how to insert pics in here but I have taken a lot of pictures of the lemon. Can u tell me how to put the pics in here?

Let's see, in the meantime I’m gonna answer some other questions.

1. The water was taken directly from the faucet so its temperature was + or less 20ºC (68ºF)

2. The germination has took place in the inside of the house in moisten kitchen paper and it took 10 days long. After that all of them germinates and went to the roof top of the house (we call it “azotea”) and the y had direct sun light. Nevertheless, we are in winter time so we have no sun light at all and its cold in here. I live close to the beach. Total time of the seedlings is 5 or 6 weeks.

3. The substratum I’ve use is “Tierra de Almácigo” or soil seedbed that contains N+K+P+Mg, fungicides to prevent mold from our high humidity and a perfect combination or porous texture. It’s the best of the best of the substratum available for rookies like me.

4. Yes, I’ve take a look at the roots of the two dead lemons (now I have two dead). The roots look perfectly normal and healty, but the stem looks dryer than a martini and it has lost all their leaves.

Germinate lemons is really easy, nut you need to take healthy lemons from the farm. Modern agriculture takes immature lemons from the trees and its seed are unviables. You need lemons take from the tree when they are fully mature

Then you consume the lemon as always but preserve the seeds. You put it in any Tupperware with moisted kitchen paper (like in the school) and leave it in a warm place like your kitchen. Open the Tupperware from time to time and change the paper if you notice fungus (like a black stein in the paper).

10 or 14 days after lemon seeds opens and you can see the little root growing. Wait a few days and then put it in the best substratum you can find and… That’s all!

I want to use this lemons (very common and easy to germinate) as rootstock for grafting Tangelo (Citrus x Tangelo) and Pomelo Rosado (Citrus x Paradisi) in them.

Once I can manage to put pics I’ll do.

Thanks!

Maggs