Old 20-07-2012, 01:17 AM
SurfGirl's Avatar
SurfGirl SurfGirl is offline
Registered User

Location: Lima, El Perú, SouthAmerica

Hi,
it's a nice project you are working on...I wish I could help you
diagnose this issue. I dont want to create any expectations here so I
am going to be really honest and admit that this is going to be a
longshot for me. I do have a technical degree in
agriculture...however, I live in Canada and therefore I do not really
have a lot of experience with growing exotics.

A couple of things come to my mind:

1-salinity an alcalinity of the soil
2-cold weather and low sunlight
3-hardening period before transfer to "azotea”

As read on --
http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/l...372014742.html

"You can often get yellowing of the leaves with lemons due to
chlorosis but this can be dealt with by feeding with an acidic plant
food."

Also on the same ressource--

"Although relatively hardy, keep your young lemon plant inside for its
first winter. For subsequent winters it can be left or protected
depending on the weather in you area."

--------------------------

I personally like Forte Agent New Reader...

Agent Making Usenet Fun

Your software must have an option to also attach files to usenet
postings.

I hope this is usefull

Jordan

Hi Jordan.

Finally I’ve manage to upload the pics, can u see them?

Thank you, yes I’m doing my best in this project but this one is not the first time I germinate seedlings to use them as rootstock. I’ve did the same with avocado and I’m looking for alternatives to improve my technique for apples, pears and difficult prunus like Apricot (Prunus armeniaca). You can see it in this post (it is in Castillian, but it has pictures)

Germinando un Imperio de Albaricoques - Foro de InfoJardín

You see, I think you can try the same thing I do. I participate in a French forum and I’ve talk with a lot of people from Canada and they do have Citrics. They have them in greenhouses or pots they can take inside the house in winter time. Most of them are in the second or third generation and I suppose the citrics already has developed some sort of natural resistance to the cold weather. If I can have a Red Delicious apple tree (I do have one), why you can’t have a simple lemon tree?

About your questions...

1. Aye, I have to test again the soil 'cause as I said, our water supply are very hard and is very alkaline.
2. Lack of sunlight and cold weather could be another problem, of course.
3. All the seedlings had germinated in the azotea (rooftop), but inside the laundry room. Now they are in open space but they had no sunlight thanks to our everlasting fog. Have you been in London in winter? Well, this is twice worse…

Here we have a pic of our weather…

Maggs
Attached Thumbnails
Chlorosis in Lemon seedlings-orrantia-001.jpg   Chlorosis in Lemon seedlings-orrantia-002.jpg