Old 14-11-2012, 04:21 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Drew Lawson[_2_] Drew Lawson[_2_] is offline

Default Can cats safely eat tomato plants?

In article
"David Hare-Scott" writes:
james_coale wrote:
My understanding is that cats cannot eat tomatoes as they are toxic
and can cause kidney failure, chronic diarrhea, cardiac arrest,
cramping, bloating, gas, chronic stomachaches, and other health
issues.

Why?

I don't kow what else may be involved, but it is my understanding
that tomato greens have a high nicotine content. Injested nicotine
(at least at high levels) is a Bad Thing.

[Anecdote that proves nothing]

Several years back, I got overwhelmed and neglected the garden.
Having given up, I enjoyed the view one day of the deer helping
themselves to things. They were very enthusiastic anout eating the
tomatoes out of the cages, but they never touched the vines. That's
about the only green in the yard that the local dear *won't* eat.

--
Drew Lawson

I only came in search of answers, never planned to sell my soul
I only came in search of something left that I could call my own