Old 14-04-2013, 11:38 PM posted to aus.gardens
Jeßus[_2_] Jeßus[_2_] is offline

Default Possums!!!

On Thu, 11 Apr 2013 15:47:45 +1000, "David Hare-Scott"
wrote:

The possum of Oz is fearsome opponent, the sight of a net will make it want
to chew holes and the sight of a fence will make it want to climb. They do
both very well. Unless your fence is smooth metal that has no grip for
strong little claws I would be running an electric wire on standoffs to
deter it.

Yep, which is why I want to use corrugated iron, with the fence
framework and posts on the *inside* of the orchard. There's no way
they could climb up corrugated iron.

If they get to the bird net they will get in. In a tree they can
jump quite a distance, a metre or more I guess, whether they would jump from
ground to mesh over a gal iron fence I have no idea.

That's what I need to find out - how high can the buggers jump
vertically off the ground? There is plenty of clear space around the
orchard so they won't be able to jump from another object either.