Old 03-08-2013, 08:55 PM posted to triangle.gardens
mj mj is offline

Default Is Anybody Out There......

On Saturday, August 3, 2013 1:41:01 PM UTC-4, Daniel B. Martin wrote:
On 08/03/2013 06:36 AM, mj wrote:

I had squash borers too...

Will you plant a second crop?

Already did. When the squash vines show their first blossoms, that is

the signal to plant a second crop. Sometimes there is a third planting.

There are lots of ways to cook squash. One of my favorites is simple

and fast. Wash, cut into 1/4-inch disks, and stir-fry in a wok. Cook

at high heat until some of the disks are blackened. This brings out the

natural sweetness of the vegetable.

Variation: toss some thinly-sliced sweet onion into the wok, along with

the squash.

Daniel B. Martin

I never knew that !! First blossoms huh? Always next year, thanks
Are you talking yellow squash? I have been making that for over 30 years and this year I found the best recipe ever. Saute it with onion, drain, mix in sour cream, cheddar cheese, parmesan cheese, salt pepper etc. bake in casserole topped with bread crumbs, more parmesan or panko crumbs. 350 / 20 minutes or so.
I can get you the specifics if you are interested. It freezes really well too
MJ