Old 15-02-2014, 02:20 PM posted to rec.gardens.roses
fran fran is offline

Default standard roses

Roses need at least 6 hours of direct sun a day. If you are going to
put them in pots, I suggest you start with a pot ~4" in diameter
larger than the pot they come in and then increase the pot size each
year until you get to the size you want. After that you will have to
either feed them a lot (they can be heavy feeders, depending on the
type) or replace the top couple of inches of soil each year.

If you are in an area that has problems with black spot or powdery
mildew, make sure you get roses that are very resistant to those. Here
in western North Carolina, I have given up on all types of roses
except the Knockout varieties.

On Sat, 8 Feb 2014 11:10:30 +0100, derick
wrote:

Hi everyone I'm new to the forums so hello all. I would like to have a
couple of standard roses in pots and I wondered if this I OK. They would
be in a sheltered spot on a patio so not too much wind to batter them
around.

Thanks in advance for any help and advice.