GardenBanter.co.uk

-   About GardenBanter (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/about-gardenbanter/)
-   -   ride on lawn mowers (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/about-gardenbanter/207245-ride-lawn-mowers.html)

vancrasher 25-05-2013 08:41 PM

ride on lawn mowers

I have been given a 1997 murray ride on mower tractor by a widow, it has a 12.5 briggs & stratton engine and the only way it starts is by putting a spanner across the starter solenoid. It would appear that her husband had probblems with various switches ( seat and one or 2 others) and had not got them fixed. I would like to rewire the mower by doing away with the switches and just having it wired from the battery via a ignition switch to the solenoid and then to the starter motor similar to that of a car (morris minor). If this was to be done what problems am I likly to get other than no cut out eg safty

Chewbacka 07-05-2015 10:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vancrasher (Post 983968)
I have been given a 1997 murray ride on mower tractor by a widow, it has a 12.5 briggs & stratton engine and the only way it starts is by putting a spanner across the starter solenoid. It would appear that her husband had probblems with various switches ( seat and one or 2 others) and had not got them fixed. I would like to rewire the mower by doing away with the switches and just having it wired from the battery via a ignition switch to the solenoid and then to the starter motor similar to that of a car (morris minor). If this was to be done what problems am I likly to get other than no cut out eg safty

Thats a very ambitious project, how did you get on?