Old 21-09-2003, 08:53 AM
Hobby Gardener

Location: Harrow, Middx
Default Sven worm effect

As some of you know, when your post gets posted to the newsgroup (outside of GardenBanter) a unique email address is created for any non GardenBanter members to reply privately to your post.

GardenBanter applies a spam filter to these and fowards the true messages to you.

You then receive this in the form of a private message entitled 'Automated message forwarding'.

It is designed this way to keep your email address private but still allow you to receive messages outside of the public forums.

This has worked very well, and has been (I think) a unique feature both within bulletin boards and newsgroups.

As each post generates a different email address, over time thousands of email address are created.

The Sven worm seems to have taken a liking to these numerous public email addresses (all ending in @gardenbanter.co.uk), and the server has received over 14000 emails with virus attachments since this started on Friday.

This has caused me major problems as the server is having to handle this resource and is spending all it's energy filtering and deleting these emails with quite large attachments (not to mention that I am paying for the bandwidth!) so I have turned off this feature until this has passed.

What does this mean to you? Well, the forum works in the normal way. You can still read and post messages as normal, post private messages or emails to other GB members, but the facility for non-GB members to pass private messages through email has been suspended. All external private messages and emails are being refused without filtering - so any genuine messages will be lost as well (the sender will get a bounce back so they will know).

No information has been compromised - all your email addresses that were used to register are secure.

I hope to be able to turn this feature back on soon - but it relies on the people who are sending these emails to realise that they have the worm on their computer.
Old 24-09-2003, 07:10 PM
Hobby Gardener

Location: Harrow, Middx

Problem solved - I now have industrial strength spam filters, virus checkers and auto ejecters to handle even the largest of problems.

All messaging facilities are now working and back to normal.

Rate This Thread: