Old 18-10-2003, 10:22 PM
Registered User

Location: england
Default newsgroups/messageboards/whatever.

When I bought this computer a year ago, I had trouble downloading newsgroups, had never posted, and didn't really know what it was all about.However, someone said it's on Google, so why bother. Then I discovered Garden Banter, and other sites. My question is.. why does anyone bother to go to all that trouble of accessing gardening and other sites thru Outlook Express when it can be done from the WEB, and it seems that posting on this particular site is perfect. Do people still download headings that sort of thing, and what are the advantages.?...Regards Ken
Old 21-10-2003, 04:38 PM
Hobby Gardener

Location: Harrow, Middx

It's really horses for courses, the newsgroups give you access to thousands of topics - not just gardening. Using a newsreader can also allow offline reading, saving on your on-line time for dial up users.

The advantage of the web based service is it is more intuitive, and requires very little setting up. GardenBanter brings together all the gardening groups, so it has advantages if all you are interested in gardening.

GardenBanter is a lot quicker than Google for the groups that it mirrors, with messages being distributed and received in seconds / minutes rather than hours.
Old 21-10-2003, 09:43 PM
Registered User

Location: england

Quote:
Originally posted by kevinmiddleton
It's really horses for courses, the newsgroups give you access to thousands of topics - not just gardening. Using a newsreader can also allow offline reading, saving on your on-line time for dial up users.

The advantage of the web based service is it is more intuitive, and requires very little setting up. GardenBanter brings together all the gardening groups, so it has advantages if all you are interested in gardening.

GardenBanter is a lot quicker than Google for the groups that it mirrors, with messages being distributed and received in seconds / minutes rather than hours.
......Yes Kevin a lot quicker. Think I'll stick to g.b. thru google. This is how I message to my other interests, walking etc..Also you offer profile protection, tho' address on Google is defunct anyway....cheers Ken

Rate This Thread: