Old 26-04-2003, 11:32 PM
Mark Waters

Default Iris planting

I forgot to put out Iris bulbs in the ground last fall...... with the
Michigan climate, can they be planted now and still grow and bloom?

Thanks in advance.
Mark
(Very novice and not good gardener here)

Old 26-04-2003, 11:44 PM
montana

In article ,
"Mark Waters" wrote:

I forgot to put out Iris bulbs in the ground last fall...... with the
Michigan climate, can they be planted now and still grow and bloom?

Thanks in advance.
Mark
(Very novice and not good gardener here)

They may not bloom, but it's ok to plant them now; I wouldn't expect too
much. It will be fine for getting them established.

When I was younger & moved all the time, I always grew irises. I'd just
pick up the rhizomes when the foliage died off & keep them in the garage
until early spring, where I'd drop them on top of some nice soil &
they'd grow & bloom. They're pretty forgiving. OTOH, I've had a bunch of
irises that have thrown up a lot of leaves, but no blossoms for a couple
of years. I guess I should either move them or feed them or something...
Old 27-04-2003, 03:32 AM
Dwayne

If you dig them up right after they stop blooming and replant them right
away, or dig up most of the plant and leave some where it was, you might get
blooms the next year. Otherwise it will be the second year after
replanting. They are worth the wait.

Dwayne

Old 28-04-2003, 07:44 AM
jammer

On Sat, 26 Apr 2003 18:28:21 -0400, montana
wrote:

They may not bloom, but it's ok to plant them now; I wouldn't expect too
much. It will be fine for getting them established.

When I was younger & moved all the time, I always grew irises. I'd just
pick up the rhizomes when the foliage died off & keep them in the garage
until early spring, where I'd drop them on top of some nice soil &
they'd grow & bloom. They're pretty forgiving. OTOH, I've had a bunch of
irises that have thrown up a lot of leaves, but no blossoms for a couple
of years. I guess I should either move them or feed them or something...

We are is completely different climates, so i don't know why i am
responding. (Zone 7 texas) But i had 6 Iris' on the west side of the
house. I would get the occasional bloom. It was good dirt. I moved
them last year to the south side of the house and the other day I
counted a total of 46 flowers and the iris spread across the flower
bed. So while people say they won't bloom next year, they MIGHT just
freakin' EXPLODE into growth and flowers like mine did!!

Old 28-04-2003, 03:20 PM
Starlord

Just hope that you don't get a Bloom out, which leaves you irisless.

--
In This Universe The Night was Falling,The Shadows were lenghtening
But elsewhere the Stars were still young and the light of morning lingered: and

Arthur C. Clarke "The City & The Stars"

SIAR
www.starlords.org
Telescope Buyers FAQ
http://home.inreach.com/starlord
Bishop's Car Fund
http://www.bishopcarfund.Netfirms.com/
Starlord's Personal Page
http://starlord-personal.netfirms.com
Freelance Writters Shop
http://www.freelancewrittersshop.netfirms.com

wrote:
We are is completely different climates, so i don't know why i am
responding. (Zone 7 texas) But i had 6 Iris' on the west side of the
house. I would get the occasional bloom. It was good dirt. I moved
them last year to the south side of the house and the other day I
counted a total of 46 flowers and the iris spread across the flower
bed. So while people say they won't bloom next year, they MIGHT just
freakin' EXPLODE into growth and flowers like mine did!!

---