Old 15-07-2003, 01:22 AM
Danno

Default Can I move Rhododendrons in the Summer???

Hi-
I have 3 large Rhody's in the front of my house that I would like to move.

I read somewhere that Summer is not a good time to do this....can anyone
confirm this for me??

Thanks,
Dan

Old 15-07-2003, 02:42 AM
Paul Below

On Mon, 14 Jul 2003 19:16:30 -0400, "Danno"
wrote:

I have 3 large Rhody's in the front of my house that I would like to move.

I read somewhere that Summer is not a good time to do this....can anyone
confirm this for me??

Summer is not a good time for this.

If you move them, you will have to water them frequently for the rest
of the summer. Unless you live somewhere that rains frequently all
summer.

Old 15-07-2003, 03:42 AM
Jacqueline Davidson

How about taking a rhody out of a rotting tub and putting it into the
ground? Should we wait?
Jackie, zone 7

Old 15-07-2003, 05:33 AM
Alan Sung

"Jacqueline Davidson" wrote in message
How about taking a rhody out of a rotting tub and putting it into the
ground? Should we wait?
Jackie, zone 7

If your rhody is already in a pot/tub (out of the ground), then there is no
problem to put it in the ground during the summer. Just make sure you keep
it watered by slowly running a hose. Don't forget to make sure you make the
appropriate hole with decent soil. See:
http://www.westonnurseries.com/New_S...Guidelines.htm

-al sung
Rapid Realm Technology, Inc.
Hopkinton, MA
(Zone 6a)

Old 15-07-2003, 02:22 PM
Stephen M. Henning

"Jacqueline Davidson" wrote:

How about taking a rhody out of a rotting tub and putting it into the
ground? Should we wait?

This should be no problem if you are careful and can keep the root ball
intact. Being in a tub, the plant should have a compact root ball. The
trick is to remove the tub without disturbing the roots. Make sure you
have enough hands if it is a large tub.

--
Pardon my spam deterrent; send email to
Cheers, Steve Henning in Reading, PA USA http://home.earthlink.net/~rhodyman

Old 15-07-2003, 02:22 PM
Stephen M. Henning

Danno" wrote:

I have 3 large Rhody's in the front of my house that I would like to move.
I read somewhere that Summer is not a good time to do this....can anyone
confirm this for me??

The problems a
1) with large rhododendrons it is very difficult to move without greatly
disturbing the root system.
2) summer is a time when the plant needs much water.
3) it is difficult for a damaged root system to secure enough water for
the plant.

If you absolutely had to move the plant, you could cut the top way back
to reduce the demands on the roots. Then very carefully try to save all
of the root structure. Rhododendrons don't have a very deep root system,
but you need to secure all of the roots out to an area near the drip
line.

The best way would be to root prune the plants now by running a spade
into the soil in a circle around the plant to cut back the ends of the
roots. This will cause the plants to form nice compact root balls that
are easy to transplant.

Then early next spring, after the ground thaws out (if it freezes in
your area) carefully dig out the plant and move it without disturbing
the roots any more than necessary.

In any case it will need good drainage but adequate water for a while
after transplanting. The trick is not too much water when the weather
is warm because this can cause root rot which is fatal.

Old 15-07-2003, 04:27 PM
Bill Spohn

The problems a
1) with large rhododendrons it is very difficult to move without greatly
disturbing the root system.
2) summer is a time when the plant needs much water.
3) it is difficult for a damaged root system to secure enough water for
the plant.

Steve's cautions are to be heeded, but I think it also depends on where you
live and where you will relocate the plant.

Up here in the Pacific Northwest (a rather Americo-centric term, as for those
of us in Canada, it is really our Pacific Southwest), we can transplant right
into the summer as long as we don't stick the poor plant in the full sun, where
as Steve points out, you may either give it too little water, in which case it
will die, or too much water, in which case it will get root rot - and then die.

It is easier to get a balance when the plant has some shade than if it were
trying to make do in full sun.

The sort of rootball it has also makes a difference. A pot bound plant will
need the outside roots teased out or it can just sit in a tight ball for years
before dying.

One guy I bought large plants from when he moved had an interesting method of
planting. He laid down plastic sheet to keep down weeds, and then placed the
rhodos on top in a few inches of bark mulch. They thrived, and ended up with
flat root 'balls' often the size of bath mats, and could be moved so easily
that they probably didn't even know they'd been transplanted.

Just don't make the mistake that many people do and plant the poor things too
deeply. Often almost placing them on the surface and mounding bark mulch around
them is adequate, though most people dig a shallow planting hole. Digging deep
can result in lack of drainage and another dead plant.
Old 15-07-2003, 06:02 PM
paghat

In article ,
(Bill Spohn) wrote:

[...]

I wonder if the chap I got my Western Azalea from did that. The
bark-compacted roots were flat as a pancake, & at the time I just assumed
that must be normal for Western Azaleas.

-paghat the ratgirl

-from Peter Newell's "Wild Flowers"
See the Garden of Paghat the Ratgirl:
http://www.paghat.com/
Old 16-07-2003, 07:03 AM
Patty Winter

In article ,
Bill Spohn wrote:

Up here in the Pacific Northwest (a rather Americo-centric term, as for those
of us in Canada, it is really our Pacific Southwest), we can transplant right
into the summer as long as we don't stick the poor plant in the full sun, where
as Steve points out, you may either give it too little water, in which case it
will die, or too much water, in which case it will get root rot - and then die.

I just got a couple of rhodies this spring. They're in half wine barrels
with a special rhododendron potting mixture. I'm in the SF Bay Area, and
they're on the north side of my house, so they only get direct sun in the
late afternoon. Should I continue watering them every day in hot weather,
or ease up a bit to reduce the risk of root rot? Since they aren't
established in their new homes yet, I don't want to underwater them.

Patty
Old 16-07-2003, 07:12 PM
Patty Winter

In article ,
Paul Below wrote:

If you skip a day will the leaves wilt? If not, try skipping two
days.

I'm not sure what the wilt period is right now. I know they wilted
once or twice soon after I put them in, so I was trying to prevent
that. But I'll keep a close eye on them and wait until it just begins
to happen to get a feel for the appropriate timing.

Is the soil underneath damp the day after you watered? If it is still
damp, don't bother to water.

I don't think there's any soil per se, mostly bark, so it's harder
to tell than with dirt. But I'll put my hand in and test it.

Thanks!
Patty