Old 13-12-2004, 02:50 AM
J Fortuna

Default Who We Are?

What do you think? I think it's been a while since we have all introduced
ourselves to each other here on rgo. There was the exchange of photos of
ourselves on abpo in August-September, but unless I have missed it, I think
the last time we had a "Who We Are" thread on rgo was in January-February,
and I know we have newcomers (including new regulars) since then (and maybe
some lurkers will de-lurk like they did the last time for this thread?).

If you are a newcomers, or if you did not respond the last time, or if your
answers to "What do I grow?" or "Where do I grow?" or "biggest orchid
accomplishments" have changed quite a bit in the meantime, please please
respond!

Even if you have responded before, here are a few reasons for you to reply
again: newcomers may not know you yet, not everyone searches the archives
and even if they did this kind of thread is not as easy to find since the
title contains only common search words and newcomers won't know which terms
to use to search for this, and Groups Google is in the process of changing
their site and thus I am not sure how safe it is to post links to old
messages and threads.

In November 2001 Kye posted a message containing a set of questions to
encourage fellow rgo'ers to introduce themselves. I think that this is worth
doing on a regular basis. So here are Kye's questions with my revised
answers:
-- Who am I and What Is My Gender?

Joanna, female (How many male Joannas do you know? I was thinking of
omitting Kye's gender question, but then I thought of Kenni Judd, who I
assumed for the longest time was male, and who is female, and so I decided
to leave it in after all.)
-- Where am I? Where do I grow?

Alexandria, Virginia (Washington DC area, USA). Windowsills and shelves of
one and a half bedroom apartment (northern exposure with supplemental grow
lights). My orchid collection has meanwhile expanded to all 4 windows in
the apartment, but there is still room for many more orchids since the
shelves have more levels than are currently occupied..

-- What do I grow?

24 Phals/Dtps, 5 Paphs, 1 cochleanthes amazonica, and 1 miniature cattleya
(31 orchids total, and beginning to have trouble counting them -- 21 of
these were acquired in 2004 (How many will I have this time next year, I
wonder? shudder)

-- The decade of my age?

3rd

-- How long have I been growing orchids?

Started in May 2001 with an orchid that was a wedding present, and was
decapitated accidentally with the window blinds a week later, and so I
acquired a second to be able to truthfully say "yes, the orchid is doing
beautifully" on the phone to the gift-giver of the first one. 3.5 years
later, both of these orchids have rebloomed every half or full year since,
except that the first one leaped off the shelf and broke it's most recent
spike not too long ago (I'm innocent, wasn't even in the room when it
happened). The other one is in bloom again now.

-- My biggest orchid accomplishment(s)?

15 of my orchids have rebloomed for me, and only 2 of the 10 orchids that I
have had over one year long have not rebloomed yet. Also I haven't killed a
single orchid yet, though I have come close (there is one currently that is
barely hanging in there, but I am beginning to think it will make it). And
no, I have not given away any that were not doing well, so I'm not cheating.

-- Miscellaneous Info...

I am a new US citizen this year (voted for the first time, and am really
looking forward to the next election, which I hope will turn out
differently.) I am originally from Poland, and then Austria, but sometime in
the next year I will have lived half my life in the US. I work as a Web
application developer (contractor on federal government projects, most
recently for the Department of Education). I am married to David, who is a
very considerate orchid addict's spouse (for example, he comes with me to
Al's orchid greenhouse, and he is usually willing to let me acquire more
orchids than I would have probably gotten on my own.) My hobbies include:
orchids (who knew?!), bread making with bread machine, crocheting, reading,
and teaching Sunday School at church (to a group of 2 through 11 year olds).

Old 13-12-2004, 03:00 PM
Claude

Good idea Joanna! here I am:

| -- Who am I and What Is My Gender?

I`m Claude aka Phalguy and I`m a 44 years old man!

| -- Where am I? Where do I grow?

I live in Montreal , Québec, Canada!

| -- What do I grow?

I grow under fluorescent lighting in S/H culture. I grow mostly Phals (
species ) and few Paph and Oncidium.

| -- The decade of my age?

I`m 44, soon to be 45 !

| -- How long have I been growing orchids?

I started growing orchid in 1999 when I accidently found a dying orchid at
one of my friend house! I decided to kidnap the plant. Since then, I`m
completely addicted to orchid !

| -- Miscellaneous Info...

I`m a nurse working in a cardio-vascular and thoracic surgery unit! Growing
orchid allows me to get a good stress management. I`m also Bouddhist and I
love meditation, TaiChi, yoga!
I am gay ( yes I am ) and I am with my boyfriend for over 15 years now ! And
no, I don`t want to get married :-)
My first langage is French ( who knew ! ) and I`m trying my very best to
learn English!

Claude

Old 13-12-2004, 03:00 PM
Claude

Good idea Joanna! here I am:

| -- Who am I and What Is My Gender?

I`m Claude aka Phalguy and I`m a 44 years old man!

| -- Where am I? Where do I grow?

I live in Montreal , Québec, Canada!

| -- What do I grow?

I grow under fluorescent lighting in S/H culture. I grow mostly Phals (
species ) and few Paph and Oncidium.

| -- The decade of my age?

I`m 44, soon to be 45 !

Old 13-12-2004, 06:13 PM
Susan Erickson

On Mon, 13 Dec 2004 01:50:00 GMT, "J Fortuna"
wrote:

-- Who am I and What Is My Gender?

I will answer for both as John only reads and tells me what to
post or what I should NOT have posted. G

Sue and John married couple

-- Where am I? Where do I grow?

Colorado - belong to Denver Orchid Society (please post
affiliations)
We now grow in a lean-to gh. We grew under lights & in a
windowsill in Chicago.

-- What do I grow?

Best definition is anything that catches our eye. John grows
Phrags and Paphs in his end of the GH, I cover the top with
Ascda and other vandaceous. I am starting with Bulbos.

-- The decade of my age?

Lets leave it that we have been growing Orchids over 30 years.
Ever since John was out with a vendor and as they drove past
Hausermann's the guy said, "You ought to take your wife there
sometime if she likes flowers."

-- My biggest orchid accomplishment(s)?

Recovering from a broken thermostat in the gh. How to go from a
full collection of old catts to a mixed collection of 50 plants
in a week. We are back pushing the top of the 500s.

-- Miscellaneous Info...

We have a web site with photos posted as our plants bloom. John
does not often take a photo of second or third blooming. And
yes, Evilsoft is my email isp.

I am in training as an AOS Judge. I understand why one of my
mentors once said... "I quit judging because none of my plants
were good enough" Rose Cohen of Skokie was one of the best
growers I have ever know.
SuE

Old 13-12-2004, 07:52 PM
Janet Price

Who am I and What Is My Gender?

Janet Price and I'm a woman.

Where am I? Where do I grow?

I live in Amherst MA and have fluorescent light fixtures in both
bedrooms and on the second floor and an HID system on the second floor.
Blooming plants come down to the living room. Everything goes outside
onto my deck under burlap in the summer.

What do I grow?

A mix of orchids, but nothing too tall and nothing too small. I
probably have somewhat over a hundred plants. I also have a few dozen
plants of a cross I made a few years ago. I've just made a sib cross
and a selfing of two of them and the pollinations seems to have taken
since pods are forming.

I have been migrating to the semi-hydroponic pots over the last couple
of years and it seems to be working well for me.

The decade of my age?

I'm in my 60s.

How long have I been growing orchids?

Probably about 10 years. My sister gave me a cattleya for my birthday.

My biggest orchid accomplishment(s)?

I'm pleased at having made a cross, sent it to a flasking service, and
grew a few dozen of the plants to blooming. I'd have many more, but got
hit with a black rot the end of last summer. Didn't realize what it was
until it had spread some.

Miscellaneous Info...

I work full time in computer support and will probably continue to work
fulltime for a few more years, given the state of our economy and its
likely future. I also like cooking--and eating, gardening,
pottery--have a wheel and kiln, and knitting.

Old 13-12-2004, 10:09 PM
Christopher J Barown

-- Who am I and What Is My Gender?

Chris, male

-- Where am I? Where do I grow?

Cherry Valley, NY. My phal sits in a south-east
facing window, and my Phrag is next to it for now.

-- What do I grow?

I currently have a Phal of unknown genetics and
a Phrag. Mem. Dick Clements. The Phal was a rescue
and the Phrag was a purchase. Neither have flowered
yet (only had the Phrag for a month), but the Phal
has put on 2 new leaves, and has started a spike.

-- The decade of my age?

I turned 30 this year.

-- How long have I been growing orchids?

I have had the Phal for about 10 months now, and the
Phrag for about a month.

-- My biggest orchid accomplishment(s)?

Neither of the plants have died... yet.

-- Miscellaneous Info...

I work as a software engineer, and my wife works as a
civil engineer. We have a small farm where we raise
pigs, chickens, and bees. We also have dogs(3), cats(6),
and horses (3).

Old 14-12-2004, 02:57 AM
GARLAND HANSON

My name is Garland. I'm known as "Slipperhead" on several of the online
orchid forums.

I live in Midlothian, VA

I'm 46 years old and have been married for 18 years and have two offspring.

I'm a new member of the Virginia Orchid Society.

I currently grow under flourescent lights at home. Mostly species and
complex paphs and lots of seedlings in compots. I have recently
experimented with some cycnoches species and hybrid seedlings. Several are
already in bud in small pots. My experiment with s/h is complete and it is
now the preferred potting medium for all my paphs and phrags.

My Florian greenhouse will be installed in the spring. I have other orchids
bordered at a local nursery.

I attended a small orchid show in Vista, CA in 1990 and met my 96 year-old
orchid mentor. The hobby got out of hand shortly afterward.

I'm a self-employed safety consultant and run consulting operations based in
two states. I also like to hunt, fish, sail, and fly sailplanes.

I enjoy reading the forums and trading plants with friends.

Garland

Old 14-12-2004, 03:32 AM
Xi Wang

Hey list. My name is Xi, male, 22. I'm currently in Winnipeg, Canada,
and have about a dozen Dtps/Phals, but also 3 Zygos....but they were
divisions from the same plant. And really, I take care of the phals,
the Zygos are my parent's. So yeah, I've been growing orchids for
probably about 5 years now...but really only got into it this year, and
that's when I acquired my current collection. My first orchid, a plain
white one, from several years ago died from crown rot after a couple of
reblooms. I have no 'orchid accomplishments' as of yet...I mean, hey,
I've only been doing this for a short while, but I do plan to breed some
of my own one of these days when I get some reblooms. In other news,
I'm currently a 2nd year medical student....um, that's about it. I also
raise butterflies in the summertime, and have a modest collection.
That's been going on for about 7-8 years now.

Cheers

Claude wrote:
Good idea Joanna! here I am:

| -- Who am I and What Is My Gender?

I`m Claude aka Phalguy and I`m a 44 years old man!

| -- Where am I? Where do I grow?

I live in Montreal , Québec, Canada!

| -- What do I grow?

I grow under fluorescent lighting in S/H culture. I grow mostly Phals (
species ) and few Paph and Oncidium.

| -- The decade of my age?

I`m 44, soon to be 45 !

Old 14-12-2004, 03:33 AM
James Aldridge

-- Who am I and What Is My Gender?

Jim, male.

-- Where am I? Where do I grow?

Out in the country west of Fort Worth, Texas, USA. I grow in an 800 sq
ft greenhouse dedicated mostly to orchids with some bromeliads and
carnivorous plants thrown in. Heating by a Modine separated combustion
unit heater. Cooling with a wet wall and a couple of big Acme exhaust
fans. Automation used to be with a Wadsworth Step50, but I'm moving to
simpler single thermostats (Schaefer) for each piece of equipment. I
use an Osmonics water softener followed by a SpectraPure high pressure
RO system (350 gpd) to treat my ultra-hard well water. I inject MSU RO
fertilizer using a Dosmatic injector. Water quality and fertilizer
rates are monitored with an Omega conductivity meter.

-- What do I grow?

Very fond of cattleyas (especially mini-catts) and dendrobiums, but I
also have a lot of phalaenopsis, tolumnias, and miscellaneous genera,
including a growing array of odd botanicals (if that's not
redundant!).

-- The decade of my age?

51.

-- How long have I been growing orchids?

7 years.

-- My biggest orchid accomplishment(s)?

Finally blooming a big, beautiful _Schomburgkia_tibicinis_.

- Other stuff

I teach science and computer science at a large, independent school in
Fort Worth (grades 10-12). I am a biologist by training, with primary
interests in comparative physiology, especially sensory physiology. In
addition to growing odd plants, I bicycle, read a lot, watch a fair
amount of TV (esp. mysteries) - just got into HDTV, fly small planes,
SCUBA dive, and like to build onto my ancient and relentlessly
entropic farmhouse.

Season's greetings to all!

Jim
James Aldridge - Fort Worth, Texas, USA
www.JamesAldridge.com -

Old 14-12-2004, 03:39 AM
Sarah

Who am I and What Is My Gender?

I'm Sarah Huff (female).

Where am I? Where do I grow?

I'm in Colorado Springs, Colorado, USA. I grow in my living room and office
(east and south windows) under full spectrum incandescent light. I grow in
either fir bark or s/h, depending on the type of orchid and its condition
when I receive it. (A local orchid store has an "out of bloom room" from
which I get most of my orchids, and the plants are very often in distress.)

What do I grow?

I grow whatever catches my eye, but I have mostly phals, catts, and
dendrobiums. I'm hoping to expand my collection to include vandas. I have
around 40-50 plants, most of which I'm having trouble reblooming.

The decade of my age?

I'm 34.

How long have I been growing orchids?

I've been growing for about 5 years, although I grew for a couple of years
when I was a teenager.

My biggest orchid accomplishment(s)?

I've rebloomed my Dtps. New Cinderella hybrid several times. It's been out
of bloom for a while now, but has a little nubbin that could be a spike.
It's growing very slowly (a watched pot never boils - I check it at least
twice a day), but I'm hopeful.

Another big orchid accomplishment was not buying any orchids at the recent
AOS show in Denver. I managed not to spend money I didn't have! :-)

Miscellaneous Info...

I'm single but involved. I'm a non-practicing lawyer, and I teach other
lawyers how to write legal research materials. I also design computer-based
training courses for various departments of the company I work for.

In my free time I'm brushing up on my French (which was my undergrad major
at the University of Cincinnati - I grew up in Ohio), and I enjoy going out
to dinner and seeing movies with friends.

Have a good day, everyone!

Sarah