Old 26-11-2005, 11:52 AM posted to aus.gardens
Helen Wheels

Default mulberry cuttings advice please

My mulberry tree blew over in high winds last night
It would have been about 60 years old (planted when my house was first
built) and had the sweetest fruit which made lovely jam. It was aso a
beautiful shade tree. Unfortunately the trunk just split and broke off
about 50cm above the ground.
Anyway, too late to save the tree, but... although it's really the wrong
time of year to strike mulberry cuttings, I have to at least try. Can
anyone offer tips that might help the success rate? I guess I'll
probably end up buying a new tree from a nursery next autumn, but it
seems worth a shot at least. I'm in Perth in the foothills.
Thanks in advance for any helpful suggestions.
Old 26-11-2005, 06:40 PM posted to aus.gardens
Richard Wright

I live in Sydney. Lengths of thin Mulberry branch stuck into the
ground as stakes invariably root. I reckon you have a 99.9% chance of
success, but I suggest you put in half a dozen 50 cm long cuttings in
the place you finally want one tree to grow.

Also - there are some hormonal products in garden shops that are
supposed to assist the process.

Old 26-11-2005, 10:46 PM posted to aus.gardens
Flying Echidna

wrote in aus.gardens:

My mulberry tree blew over in high winds last night
It would have been about 60 years old (planted when my house was first
built) and had the sweetest fruit which made lovely jam. It was aso a
beautiful shade tree. Unfortunately the trunk just split and broke off
about 50cm above the ground.

Mulberry tree cuttings will grow just about anywhere at any time.
Don't worry take a few small branches (twigs even) and stick them in
the ground most of them will grow.

Regards
Prickles

This message only uses recycled electrons
Old 27-11-2005, 07:52 AM posted to aus.gardens
David Hare-Scott

"Helen Wheels" wrote in message
My mulberry tree blew over in high winds last night
It would have been about 60 years old (planted when my house was first
built) and had the sweetest fruit which made lovely jam. It was aso a
beautiful shade tree. Unfortunately the trunk just split and broke off
about 50cm above the ground.
Anyway, too late to save the tree,

Maybe, there is a chance it will shoot from down low and the new shoot(s)
will replace the old tree, so don't be in a hurry to dig out the stump, just
cut it off and wait a few weeks.

but... although it's really the wrong
time of year to strike mulberry cuttings, I have to at least try. Can
anyone offer tips that might help the success rate?

Fresh soft wood cuttings are easy to strike, cut off about 30-40 cm from the
tip, dip the cut end in rooting powder and put about 10cm into damp sandy
potting mix. Do half a dozen and you will get one to grow for sure.

David