Old 05-04-2003, 07:32 AM
Anthony P

Default Removing Spent Flowers from Kangaroo Paw

Can someone please describe in detail the best way to do this , I have read
vague descriptions and I am affraid of making the plant look ugly by not
doing it right.

Where is the best place to cut the flowers from, how far away?
Should I be removing whole stems from the base, as new ones are growing?
If I cut a think stem will it produce more flowers, or just die off?

I really like the look of my Kangaroo paw, and want to keep it looking good.

Thanks in advance,
Anthony.

Old 05-04-2003, 07:32 AM
stolie

Can you help me in suggestions of keeping mine alive?!
This is the second one i have bought, and im obviously doing something
wrong....as this ones not looking to good at the moment

i have made sure i havent watered this one too much, got the foliage wet
etc.....someone has mentioned that certain fertilisers are not that good for
Kangaroo Paws....is this true?

It frustrating, i want his one to stay alive!
cheers

u...

Old 05-04-2003, 07:32 AM
Anthony P

Thanks for that Wallaby.

For a second I didn't think anyone was going to help me.
Removing at the base it is.

Stolie, I am not a professional by any means. I live in Sydney and I hardly
have to care for my Kangaroo Paw. It sits in a pot on my front patio, it
gets plenty of sun, I water every other day or when I notice the flowers
droop.

I bought it around xmas time, the flowers from the time are now turning
white and plenty of new shoots are popping up. I fertlise using the run-off
from my worm farm on an ad-hoc basis (I don't mix it, but I have read that
it is better mixed), and nothing else.

Wallaby, when is the best time/times to re-pot these plants? Do you have any
hints/tips for me also (Is what I am doing right?).
Is dividing the best way to propagate these plants?

Thanks in Advance,
Anthony.

"Wallaby Walker" wrote in message
I have a clump that I continue to ignore and occasionally divide. These

are
the common old Anigozanthos flavidus variety; I believe you should try
buying only those that have been hybridized using this variety, they're
stronger especially for the humid east coast. Ones that are not of this
strain, I place in large containers in native potting mix. They have all
survived. Bush gems seem ok also, and easy to divide after a couple of
years.
Cheers, Wallaby.
PS I occasionally remove the spent flowers from way down at the base.

"stolie" stolie666 @hotmail.com wrote in message
Can you help me in suggestions of keeping mine alive?!
This is the second one i have bought, and im obviously doing something
wrong....as this ones not looking to good at the moment

i have made sure i havent watered this one too much, got the foliage wet
etc.....someone has mentioned that certain fertilisers are not that good

for
Kangaroo Paws....is this true?

It frustrating, i want his one to stay alive!
cheers

"Anthony P" wrote in message
u...
Can someone please describe in detail the best way to do this , I have

read
vague descriptions and I am affraid of making the plant look ugly by

not
doing it right.

Where is the best place to cut the flowers from, how far away?
Should I be removing whole stems from the base, as new ones are

growing?
If I cut a think stem will it produce more flowers, or just die off?

I really like the look of my Kangaroo paw, and want to keep it looking

good.

Thanks in advance,
Anthony.

Where can I see a Paw-Paw? Philip Semanchuk North Carolina 2 06-08-2007 02:36 PM
Paw-Paw flower Marutchi Garden Photos 2 10-03-2007 02:18 AM
seeking paw paw trees to plant in my yard. (IL) what does THIS button do?! Gardening 2 05-01-2007 12:58 PM
seeking paw paw trees to plant in my yard. (IL) what does THIS button do?! Edible Gardening 2 05-01-2007 12:58 PM
Paw Paw Pollination Raffi Kojian Edible Gardening 1 28-03-2003 10:56 PM