Old 05-04-2003, 06:35 AM
John Savage

Default Pine-O-Clean for citrus stink bugs?

On the Radio 2GB gardening program today, a caller phoned in to say that
his citrus tree was infested with the bronze orange beetles so he sprayed
the tree with a dilution of Pine-O-Clean and the beetles 'disappeared'.
I take it that by this he meant they were killed off. Most gardeners with
a citrus tree know the frustration of having to stand by and watch your
small fruit dropping off as these bugs suck them dry.

The Pine-O-Clean tip might be useful for someone in a similar situation to
try out, as common wisdom has it that the adult beetle's shell is just too
impenetrable for most insecticide sprays to have any effect and the only way
to rid your tree of the bugs is to pick them off one by one. (Wear eye
protection, as they can squirt a caustic jet into your face.) But just when
you think you have picked them all off, more fly in from the neighbours'.

Sometimes the simplest solution can be the best. I'd experiment with the
dilution, testing it on only one branch first then waiting a few days to
make sure the tree wasn't going to defoliate!
--
John Savage (for email, replace "ks" with "k" and delete "n")

Old 05-04-2003, 06:35 AM
Andrew G

"John Savage" wrote in message
om...
[...]

Sounds good.

As you said though test dilutions.
We recently tried an organic herbicde at work, pine oil. It smelt exactly
like pine-o-clean, though I am not sure what the make-up of pino-o-clean is,
it could have pine oil in it.
It worked by contact, and it must just "burn" the weed, as missing one part
of the weed will mean that part will still grow.
Though the pine-o-clean sounds like a good solution
Let us know how it goes.

--
Remove "not" from start of email address to reply

Citrus Plants, Citrus Feed, Citrus Compost Kathryn Selfe Marketplace 0 01-11-2008 03:41 PM
Stink bugs schmuttis Edible Gardening 0 04-04-2007 07:27 PM
Organic remedy for stink bugs? Victor Martinez Texas 8 23-06-2004 02:03 AM
"Stink bugs" -- any idea how to prevent or get rid of them? freddotr Lawns 0 19-04-2004 02:09 AM
Stink bugs - time to KILL Kelly Garner North Carolina 0 10-08-2003 06:42 AM