fruit fly and plum tree

Old 05-04-2003, 06:35 AM
Darryn

Default fruit fly and plum tree

I have a plum tree in my backyard (perth) and the plums on it are just
starting to ripen. I haven't sprayed it for fruit fly as last year we
did not have many and I did not need to and its much nicer that way I
think

Alas this year the fruit fly has already started to get it and the
fruits not quite ripe yet but I think it will only be a week or so
more.

Is it too late to spray the tree for fruit fly now?

Darryn
Old 05-04-2003, 06:35 AM
John Savage

Darryn writes:
Alas this year the fruit fly has already started to get it and the
fruits not quite ripe yet but I think it will only be a week or so
more.

Is it too late to spray the tree for fruit fly now?

Depends. You will have to look at the withholding period specified on
the bottle, different sprays have vastly differing periods before you
can consume the fruit. You also have to expect there will be some
developed lavae dead inside the fruit, I expect. Inspect carefully, or
just eat and be damned! What you don't see won't hurt you.

Fly strike makes the fruit ripen earlier, by just a few days, so you
might find that all but the first maturing plums are quite okay if you
can get to and spray straight away.
--
John Savage (for email, replace "ks" with "k" and delete "n")

Old 05-04-2003, 06:35 AM
Darryn

On Sat, 11 Jan 2003 23:28:32 GMT, John Savage
wrote:

Darryn writes:
Alas this year the fruit fly has already started to get it and the
fruits not quite ripe yet but I think it will only be a week or so
more.

Is it too late to spray the tree for fruit fly now?

Depends. You will have to look at the withholding period specified on
the bottle, different sprays have vastly differing periods before you
can consume the fruit. You also have to expect there will be some
developed lavae dead inside the fruit, I expect. Inspect carefully, or
just eat and be damned! What you don't see won't hurt you.

Fly strike makes the fruit ripen earlier, by just a few days, so you
might find that all but the first maturing plums are quite okay if you
can get to and spray straight away.

Thanks I will get on to it today

Darryn