Old 05-04-2003, 06:36 AM
Paulus Maximus

Default When to trim a hedge?

Hello,

Being a novice gardener, I was hoping someone may be able to help with some
advice:

I am trying to grow a buxus (English Box) hedge to a height of 1 meter, and
a Japanese Box hedge to a height of about 30cms. The plants have been in
the ground for approximately one year now, and are starting to grow nicely.
They are not exactly at the right height, or density yet, but I was
wondering when is a good time to start shaping them.
Do you leave it until it has grown taller and bushier than hedge size you
want, and then simply trim it down into shape, or is a better plan to trim
it into a smaller size intially to get the shape right, and then let it grow
in that shape to the desired height?
Is there a particular season that this should be done, or is any time a good
time?

thanks,

Paul

Old 05-04-2003, 06:36 AM
Just a little bit

On Mon, 03 Feb 2003 12:09:47 GMT, "Paulus Maximus"
wrote:

I am trying to grow a buxus (English Box) hedge to a height of 1 meter, and
a Japanese Box hedge to a height of about 30cms. The plants have been in

A bad choice using Jap Box for a 30cm hedge. It is too vigorous. The Dutch Box
would have been a much better choice.

Old 05-04-2003, 06:36 AM
Paulus Maximus

A bad choice using Jap Box for a 30cm hedge. It is too vigorous. The

Dutch Box
would have been a much better choice.

Damn! Oh well....it looks ok - but it has not grown very much in twelve
months - perhaps it is a less-vigorous variety?

Old 05-04-2003, 06:36 AM
Paulus Maximus

Thanks for the advice Andrew - I'll give it a go.

Old 05-04-2003, 06:36 AM
Terry Collins

Paulus Maximus wrote:

....snip.....

Damn! Oh well....it looks ok - but it has not grown very much in twelve
months - perhaps it is a less-vigorous variety?

My experience says that plants can sit there for up to two years, then
suddenly "where the heck did that come from" as they shoot for the sun.
{:-)

They seem to put a bit of energy into get a good root system
established, then take off.

--
Terry Collins {:-)}}} email: terryc at woa.com.au www:
http://www.woa.com.au