Old 05-04-2003, 04:44 PM
Jerome Morrow

Default removing kikuyu grass

What's the best way of removing kikuyu grass?

Our back lawn is covered with the stuff. Its too invasive and I thought of
replacing it with buffalo grass.

Cheers!

Old 05-04-2003, 11:08 PM
Bob Incognito

In a drunken stupor, on Sat, 05 Apr 2003 14:42:24
GMT, "Jerome Morrow"

-
-Our back lawn is covered with the stuff. Its too
invasive and I thought of
-replacing it with buffalo grass.
-
-Cheers!
-

RoundUp. But then the soil can become
contaiminated. The only safe, sure fire way is
with back breaking kabour.
Old 06-04-2003, 02:08 AM
Jane VR

Bob Incognito wrote:

RoundUp. But then the soil can become
contaiminated. The only safe, sure fire way is
with back breaking kabour.

Roundup breaks down very quickly. It won't contaminate the soil. If you
want a chemical-free alternative, I have heard of people using chooks to
get rid of kikuyu. They scratch and dig it up.

Jane

Old 06-04-2003, 02:32 AM
Rod

"Jerome Morrow" wrote in message
What's the best way of removing kikuyu grass?

Our back lawn is covered with the stuff. Its too invasive and I thought of
replacing it with buffalo grass.

Cheers!

I had a grassed area of buffalo that was contaminated with Kikuyu. Last June
I hit it with Round up and all the grass died well at least the buffalo did
and the Kikuyu appeared to but in about 3 months the Kikuyu had reappeared
so I sprayed it again and it died. Then about 2months later Kikuyu started
to reappear so I sprayed it again .

It had now taken 4 sprayings with roundup and it may need a few more to get
rid of what I assume to be dormant seeds germinating.

Has anyone come across this before and how did you get rid of the Kikuyu for
good?

Old 06-04-2003, 06:44 AM
Chookie

In article ,
"Jerome Morrow" wrote:

What's the best way of removing kikuyu grass?

Our back lawn is covered with the stuff. Its too invasive and I thought of
replacing it with buffalo grass.

Aha, another member for my Kikuyu Is Evil Society! The consensus is "repeated
applications of glyphosate". I wish I could do this, but I won't while I have
a small child.

--
Chookie -- Sydney, Australia

"...children should continue to be breastfed... for up to two years of age
or beyond." -- Innocenti Declaration, Florence, 1 August 1990

Old 06-04-2003, 09:44 AM
Andrew G

"Jerome Morrow" wrote in message
What's the best way of removing kikuyu grass?

Our back lawn is covered with the stuff. Its too invasive and I thought of
replacing it with buffalo grass.

Cheers!

As most people have gone with the general consensus of Roundup
(Glyphospate).
If you buy roundup that is concentrated (the best idea) and not pre-mixed
then you should be looking at a rate of around 15ml/roundup to a litreof
water (or 150ml roundup to 10litre of water). This stronger rate should get
through it better, and lessen the chance of it coming back too strong.
Still, it's best to spray it once, wait about 6 weeks, then re-spray. Make
sure you get good and complete coverage of the area. It's non-residual, so
it won't stay in the soil. In fact when roundup/glyphosate hits dirt/dust,
it becomes inactive. A weed sprayed with roundup, that is covered in
dust/dirt, will be lucky to die.
If things are really slowing down in the way of growing in your area, it may
be best to wait 'till after winter. This is cos you will get a better kill
of the kyke when it's actively growing. Also the Buffalo will take off
better.

--
Remove "not" from start of email address to reply

Old 06-04-2003, 03:20 PM
Elegant Embroidery

"Jerome Morrow" wrote in message
What's the best way of removing kikuyu grass?

Learn to love kikuyu. It is easier and a whole lot less traumatic than
trying to rid yourself of this evil. My back lawn has slowly shrunk over 20
years to a small area, and the whole thing is infested with kikuyu. I have
dug, I have poisoned, I have sworn and cursed, I have deprived it of water,
still it prevails. The only things I have not tried are goats and pigs (a
little to bucolic for the inner suburbs of Perth). I now content my self
with controlling its invasive tendencies by dousing offending shoots in the
paving with glyphosate at every opportunity. I am also told it is near on
impossible to get rid of in sandy soils as it has a root system second to
none.

Joanne

Old 11-04-2003, 03:08 AM
Stephanie Franklin

I read in one of the answers to this that there is a problem with kikuyu
re-germinating. You cannot see the seeds. They are actually in the form of a
spore. A bit like the spore of fungi. Maybe one morning you went outside and
thought you had a heavy dew on the lawn. That's what the spores looks like.
The only way to get rid of Kikuyu is by pulling the roots out by hand. Then
repeatedly hitting it with Roundup or a similar time of herbicide. Roundup
breaks down fairly rapidly and looses its potence with six weeks. It may
take up to 12 month to fully get rid of your kikuyu. The easy way to control
kikuyu is not to water it. Bit of a problem if you want to have a lawn
though.
Hope this is a help.
Stan

Old 11-04-2003, 08:32 AM
judy

There is a way - we found out last year. Army worm kills it at the roots.
Army worm also left the buffalo alone. But ... who'd be mad enough to try
for an invasion of army worm?
Judy

Old 18-04-2003, 02:08 AM
Andrew G

Sorry to bring up the old topic of Kikuyu grass.

We got a delivery of chemicals at work yesterday.
I saw a co-worker taking them to the chemical shed and noticed a new one
amongst the usual chemicals.

Called Task Force (I think).
I had a look at it quickly, seemed to mostly list grasess as what it killed.
Amongst it was Kikuyu. I will have a better read of it next week when I go
back. I'm not exactly sure what we are going to be using it for there. My
only guess is that perhaps it doesn't kill bent grass, yet will kill couch
so maybe they can use it to stop the couch running into the greens.
Could be something different than roundup. I know Fusilade will kill Kyke,
but not sure how well.

I'll check the new one out and let you all know.

--
Remove "not" from start of email address to reply

Kikuyu Grass and Buffalo Grass War YMC Australia 1 25-12-2008 01:09 AM
Removing kikuyu grass lawn YMC Gardening 8 29-07-2008 04:43 PM
Removing kikuyu grass lawn YMC Australia 1 27-07-2008 12:09 AM
Kikuyu Grass Rod Australia 13 24-10-2003 02:12 AM
Burclover in kikuyu grass The Real Bev Gardening 0 12-10-2003 04:22 AM