Old 09-05-2006, 07:36 AM posted to aus.gardens
Linda H

Default Cape Weed

Thank you again, Godwin. Thanks so much too for offering to give me
more tips when I have a plan. I don't quite have one yet

Next, (in a new thread) I'm going to ask you Wonderkids about a dog
eating certain plants.

You guys really are great with your info!

L.
Old 09-05-2006, 08:47 AM posted to aus.gardens
Linda H

godwin wrote:

The most
economic fertilizer i believe to be 'meat meal' this is blood 'n bone
that's used for feeding stock. it's usually cheaper to buy than when
it's labelled Blood 'n bone.

It contains all the main nutrients and has a prolonged effect. If I was
planting a major woody perrenial i'd make yp a mix in a bucket of eight
parts meat meal, two parts chicken manure, and one part urea. mix that
up and dig a hole at least twice as deep as the pot you're plant is in.

Oh and Godwin? When you say a "part" how much do you reckon is one
part, a handful? (Let's just say I was going to plant something like
um... a lemon tree, for example.) And would you get meat meal at a
stock feed supplies place?

L.
Old 09-05-2006, 11:44 AM posted to aus.gardens
Roberta Bagshaw

Default Brunfelsia - neurotoxin

Hi Linda

A friend of mine, who is a vet, emailed me just 15 minutes ago, about a
plant commonly grown in gardens, called Brunfelsia. Here is what she wrote:

I read today in a veterinary publication that Brunfelsia australis
contains a potent neurotoxin in the leaves and flowers and is palatable to
dogs. The vet who wrote the article was seeing a lot of cases over East,
mainly because someone was handing
out lots of cuttings to people who stopped to admire his lovely bush!

My friend mentioned this to me, because she has a Brunfelsia in her garden -
which I gave her as a gift! - and she has two dogs. Brunfelsia is such a
pretty plant, and it seems to be very popular at the moment. Still.....
something to be aware of.

~Roberta~

Old 09-05-2006, 11:24 PM posted to aus.gardens
Linda H

Roberta Bagshaw wrote:

I read today in a veterinary publication that Brunfelsia australis
contains a potent neurotoxin in the leaves and flowers and is palatable to
dogs. The vet who wrote the article was seeing a lot of cases over East,
mainly because someone was handing
out lots of cuttings to people who stopped to admire his lovely bush!

Hmm, interesting, Roberta. Thanks, I'm going to look more into that.

L.
Old 09-05-2006, 11:37 PM posted to aus.gardens
Linda H

Linda H wrote:
Roberta Bagshaw wrote:

I read today in a veterinary publication that Brunfelsia australis
contains a potent neurotoxin in the leaves and flowers and is
palatable to dogs. The vet who wrote the article was seeing a lot of
cases over East, mainly because someone was handing
out lots of cuttings to people who stopped to admire his lovely bush!

Hi again, Roberta. I just typed 'Brunfelsia australis' into Google
images (
http://images.google.com/images?q=Br... tart=20&sa=N
) and yes, that's a pretty mauve flower so I can see why some people
have adopted it as an ornamental plant. I'll be sure to warn anyone I
see with it about its toxic properties for dogs.

Fortunately we don't have any of that growing wild where we are. Then I
decided to look at pics of Cape Weed. Someone in here mentioned it as
the old wives tale plant we used to call "wet-the-bed" and yeah, that's
wet-the-bed alright.

BUT... that's not the weed I've been calling Cape Weed (which is the
name the neigbours told me it was.) It's not! The weed that is our
particular problem comes up with a pretty little pale butter coloured
flower that attracts tons of those similar coloured butterflies. I'll
search for weed images and see if I can find the name of it.

L.

Old 10-05-2006, 12:10 AM posted to aus.gardens
Linda H

Linda H wrote:

BUT... that's not the weed I've been calling Cape Weed (which is the
name the neigbours told me it was.) It's not! The weed that is our
particular problem comes up with a pretty little pale butter coloured
flower that attracts tons of those similar coloured butterflies. I'll
search for weed images and see if I can find the name of it.

Damn, I found a great website that you can click on your zone with many
pics of weeds known to that area ( www.weeds.org.au ) but still I can't
identify the weed I thought was Cape. Grrr.

The closest I can see to resemble it is something like Saggitaria or
Parthenium but it's not those. I would take a photo but there's none
"up" at the moment coz we've mowed all the tops off.

I'll keep searching.

L.

Old 10-05-2006, 05:46 AM posted to aus.gardens
Farm1

"Linda H" wrote in message
godwin wrote:

[...]

The "part" can be anything by measure. It can be 8 buckets or 8
handfulls. Just make sure that when you add the 2 parts chicken
manure (or whatever it is you're adding by part) then you measure out
the 2 parts by the same measure as you used the first time round (ie
either a bucket or a handful or whatever your "part" measure happened
to be).

Old 10-05-2006, 06:35 AM posted to aus.gardens
Roberta Bagshaw

Default Cape Weed - control the old fashioned way?

Hi Linda

Check out this site - maybe you can identify your weed
http://www.directpestcontrol.com.au/weeds.htm

Your post reminded me of a conversation that I had recently with my elderly
neighbour Val who is a very keen gardener, and keeps a meticulous buffalo
grass lawn. The last couple of years we have had problems with clover weed
in garden beds and in lawns. The type of clover is that red stemmed one
that has a very dense cover - almost a mat - of leaves.

Val remembered that years ago (pre-herbicide days) the easy way to rid
yourself of many weeds was to apply a strong dose of Sulphate of Ammonia
which literally burned the weed by an overapplication of nitrogen. She
applied it to her plague of clover and got rid of it! It is certainly a
cheap (and relatively safe) solution.

Maybe you could try it on a bit of your weed and see what happens?

Cheers
~Bobby~

Old 10-05-2006, 12:53 PM posted to aus.gardens
Chookie

http://images.google.com/images?q=Br...=en&lr=&s tar
t=20&sa=N
) and yes, that's a pretty mauve flower so I can see why some people
have adopted it as an ornamental plant. I'll be sure to warn anyone I
see with it about its toxic properties for dogs.

I only wish it were attractive to the next-door neighbour's cats!

The common name is Yesterday, Today and Tomorrow: the flowers change colour
each day for 3 days.

--
Chookie -- Sydney, Australia

Kerry Cue
Old 10-05-2006, 11:36 PM posted to aus.gardens
Linda H

Roberta Bagshaw wrote:

...a strong dose of Sulphate of Ammonia
which literally burned the weed by an overapplication of nitrogen. She
applied it to her plague of clover and got rid of it! It is certainly a
cheap (and relatively safe) solution.

Okay, that's worth a bash, Roberta. So, Sulphate of Ammonia; where do
you buy that? (Sorry, I know I seem to be vague about availability of
these chemicals - but yeah, I am, I'm as vague as... as that stuff you
buy from that whatsitsname place, you know?)

L.

Old 11-05-2006, 12:22 AM posted to aus.gardens
Terry Collins

Chookie wrote:

The common name is Yesterday, Today and Tomorrow: the flowers change colour
each day for 3 days.

That crap. Invasive *******. One day I'm going to give those distant
shoots a dose of glycho.

OTOH, you can mash the ******* with anything you like and it comes back.

It was the pox in swmbo's dowry and I'm not allowed to eradicate it.

Old 11-05-2006, 06:27 AM posted to aus.gardens
Farm1

"Roberta Bagshaw" wrote in message

Your post reminded me of a conversation that I had recently with my

elderly
neighbour Val who is a very keen gardener,
Val remembered that years ago (pre-herbicide days) the easy way to

rid
yourself of many weeds was to apply a strong dose of Sulphate of

Ammonia
which literally burned the weed by an overapplication of nitrogen.

She
applied it to her plague of clover and got rid of it! It is

certainly a
cheap (and relatively safe) solution.

Sulphate of Ammonia is a good product to use BUT it can't solve this
particular problem. Cape Weed is one weed that it will not work on
although it will work on other broadleaf plants such as plantain and
dandelion and also it can't be used at this time of year. It must be
used in Spring (as do most of the other products) which must be used
on actively growing weeds.

Old 11-05-2006, 08:02 AM posted to aus.gardens
Chookie

In article
,
Terry Collins wrote:

The common name is Yesterday, Today and Tomorrow: the flowers change colour
each day for 3 days.

That crap. Invasive *******. One day I'm going to give those distant
shoots a dose of glycho.

Not as invasive as the cats from next door, I assure you!

--
Chookie -- Sydney, Australia

Kerry Cue
Old 11-05-2006, 08:08 AM posted to aus.gardens
Chookie

In article ,
Linda H wrote:

...a strong dose of Sulphate of Ammonia
which literally burned the weed by an overapplication of nitrogen. She
applied it to her plague of clover and got rid of it! It is certainly a
cheap (and relatively safe) solution.

It works on clover because clover is a nitrogen-fixing plant -- you are giving
it a nitrogen overdose, against which it has no defences (you can kill some
Australian plants with phosphorus the same way). If Cape Weed isn't a legume,
it won't work. You could try boiling water, but as it's a perennial it
probably will still stagger along.

Okay, that's worth a bash, Roberta. So, Sulphate of Ammonia; where do
you buy that? (Sorry, I know I seem to be vague about availability of
these chemicals - but yeah, I am, I'm as vague as... as that stuff you
buy from that whatsitsname place, you know?)

Hardware shops and nurseries.

--
Chookie -- Sydney, Australia

Kerry Cue
Old 11-05-2006, 09:33 AM posted to aus.gardens
Jonno

Chookie wrote:
In article ,
Linda H wrote:

...a strong dose of Sulphate of Ammonia
which literally burned the weed by an overapplication of nitrogen. She
applied it to her plague of clover and got rid of it! It is certainly a
cheap (and relatively safe) solution.

It works on clover because clover is a nitrogen-fixing plant -- you are giving
it a nitrogen overdose, against which it has no defences (you can kill some
Australian plants with phosphorus the same way). If Cape Weed isn't a legume,
it won't work. You could try boiling water, but as it's a perennial it
probably will still stagger along.

Okay, that's worth a bash, Roberta. So, Sulphate of Ammonia; where do
you buy that? (Sorry, I know I seem to be vague about availability of
these chemicals - but yeah, I am, I'm as vague as... as that stuff you
buy from that whatsitsname place, you know?)

Hardware shops and nurseries.

Dunno but a hungry goat sounds like it could do the job...
Chooks?