Old 06-05-2006, 06:44 AM posted to aus.gardens

Default Ivy prolific growth problem

Hi all

I have just realised that the ivy growing at the
end of our garden under the sycamore treee (melbourne)
is expanding and expanding across the front lawn.

Short of digging it up and my husband and I are not young
anymore, can I poison this in some way - we have no animals,
neither do the neighbours.

Thank you.

Ruth.
Old 06-05-2006, 02:30 PM
Registered User

Location: Busselton WA

G'day Ruth, the trouble with poisoning it is that it's going to be unsightly for a long time. I'd think the best bet is to get a young lad in to clean it up, but if you think that's going to be too expensive you'll have to find the main stem or stems where it comes out the ground, cut away the outside bark wrap an old piece of towel or other absorbent cloth around it and soak it with a strong solution of Roundup or similar poison. he blokes down at the hardware will tell you the best valur chemical for the job, but that's the best way of applying it.

If the weather is warm put some glad wrap over the cloth to keep it from drying out to quickly.
Old 06-05-2006, 03:48 PM posted to aus.gardens
Dave Turner

I just wanna top up your drink for considering the safety of your neighbours
pets, you're a good person Ruth, best of luck with the ivy!

Old 07-05-2006, 10:28 AM posted to aus.gardens
Jonno

godwin wrote:
G'day Ruth, the trouble with poisoning it is that it's going to be
unsightly for a long time. I'd think the best bet is to get a young lad
in to clean it up, but if you think that's going to be too expensive
you'll have to find the main stem or stems where it comes out the
ground, cut away the outside bark wrap an old piece of towel or other
absorbent cloth around it and soak it with a strong solution of Roundup
or similar poison. he blokes down at the hardware will tell you the best
valur chemical for the job, but that's the best way of applying it.

If the weather is warm put some glad wrap over the cloth to keep it
from drying out to quickly.

Ivy the term poison ivy comes t omind. Be very carefull as most ivy I
have had to do with can create allergic reactions some time down the
line. Rubbish? No its isnt. Appararently the stuff creates a problem
later and is very alregeneic...See here...
http://www.healthfirst.net.au/content/view/78/42/

First hand contact by me in a limited way to try and remove the stuff
was not very nice.... :-(
Old 07-05-2006, 10:40 AM posted to aus.gardens
Jonno

While there are many types of Ivy , most will give you trouble..
see here and ask around...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toxicodendron

http://www.inmygarden.org/archives/2...ing_poiso.html
Old 07-05-2006, 10:43 AM posted to aus.gardens
Jonno

Jonno wrote:
While there are many types of Ivy , most will give you trouble..
see here and ask around...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toxicodendron

http://www.inmygarden.org/archives/2...ing_poiso.html
Apparently, from memory it was grown in Australia early in the 19
century and exported for some reason. i believe it was medical. But
interesting stuff with dangerous consequences. Most Doctors seem to
know about it...

Old 08-05-2006, 01:41 AM posted to aus.gardens
Jonno

Jonno wrote:
Jonno wrote:
While there are many types of Ivy , most will give you trouble..
see here and ask around...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toxicodendron

http://www.inmygarden.org/archives/2...ing_poiso.html
Apparently, from memory it was grown in Australia early in the 19
century and exported for some reason. i believe it was medical. But
interesting stuff with dangerous consequences. Most Doctors seem to
know about it...

Not as widespread as first thought by me but still something to know
about. Especially as its easily mistaken for other ivy..

"ORNAMENTAL USES

Poison-ivy has other economic significance. Hard to believe, but
poison-ivy has been cultivated in gardens in New South Wales, Australia,
and in Dunedin, New Zealand, and sold as an ornamental by English
nurserymen, probably as far back as 1640. Colorful autumnal foliage is
used to highlight displays of fruit at shows-and it does not escape
cultivation! (16).
DERMATITIS

The recorded history of poison-ivy dermatitis began in 1609. In his
account of his experiences with poison-ivy in Virginia and Bermuda,
Capt. John Smith wrote: "The poisoned weed is much in shape like our
English ivy, but being touched, causeth redness, itching, and lastly,
blisters, and which, howsoever after a while pass away of them-selves,
without further harm; yet because for the time they are somewhat
painfill, it hath got itself an ill name, although questionless of no
ill nature" (11). Indeed, Toxicodendron sensitivity is doubtlessly the
prototype of allergic contact dermatitis in the U.S., having afflicted
the very first white settlers (11). Lack of recognition of the plant in
all its forms is the chief cause of exposure (10). Only humans and
closely related primates get the dermatitis (5). Symptoms from the first
exposure to the allergen in the various species of Toxicodendron are
extremely rare. Probably seven out of every 10 people in the U.S. can
develop this allergy if exposed to the toxin a second time. With
subsequent exposures, however, symptoms may develop 12 to 72 hours later
or in less time in highly sensitive

individuals (12). Both poison-ivy and poison-oak may cause severe
dermatitis on contact; even breathing smoke from burning plants is
harmful (3). Transmission from smoke is by droplets on particles of dust
and ash via the smoke, rather than from gas. Smoke from burning
poison-ivy plants or contaminated articles can carry the poison in a
dispersed form (13).

With time, sensitivity to poisoning can change. Generally, persons
repeatedly exposed to poison-ivy and poison-oak become more sensitive
because they react to lower concentrations of the oily toxicant. And
people usually become less sensitive as they get older. But this rule
does not always hold true. Persons who have waded through patches of
poison-oak numerous times without effect can suddenly develop a severe
rash after such contact. Occasionally a person becomes less sensitive
after a serious bout of poisoning by such plants (12). The dermatitis
rarely lasts longer than 10 days (5). The plant sap contains urushiol, a
yellowish slightly volatile oil that causes the allergic reaction on the
skin. Contacting the oil sets off a skin eruption that can vary from a
simple itching inflammation to water blisters, which exude serum in the
most severe cases, making infection a real danger (5, 12).

Urushiol is carried in specialized vessels or resin ducts in the phloem
of the plants. It normally is not present on the surface of leaves or
twigs nor in the stamen or the pollen of the flowers. It is found within
the resin ducts in leaves and flowers, and the bark of stems and roots
in all Toxicodendron species. When the leaves are bruised, chewed by
insects, or otherwise damaged, then and only then will the poison exude
from the poison ducts onto the leaf surface. The fluid changes in a few
hours to a black gummy substance (12). Urushiol can be toxic for an
indefinite period; several 100-year-old herbarium specimens have been
toxic to sensitive persons who have handled them (12). Contrary to many
old wives' tales, eating a poison-ivy leaf does not confer immunity (7).

Objects such as clothing, gloves, and tools can convey the poison. Once
contaminated they are often the sources of prolonged infections. Dogs,
cats, and livestock frequently contact the plants and transmit the
poison to children or other unsuspecting persons. The poison can remain
on the hair of animals for a considerable time after they have gone
through patches of poison-ivy (12). Cattle, horses, sheep, hogs, and
other livestock apparently do not suffer skin irritation from these
plants, even though they graze on them occasionally. Poison-ivy is
heavily browsed by deer. Bees collect nectar from the flowers, but no
ill effects from contact with honey have been reported (12).

MEDICINAL PROPERTIES

Inconceivably, in North American medicine the acrid juice from fresh
leaves of poison-oak was formerly pre-scribed for its "irritant,
stimulant and narcotic" principles "in palsies, paralysis, drowsiness,
stupors, delirium, rheumatism, stiffness, herpetic troubles [and]
certain other eruptive diseases" as a "visicant for producing blisters."
At one time poison-oak was officially listed in the Pharmacopoeia of the
U.S. Although the plant was introduced into England in the 1640s, it was
not used in medicine there until the end of the 18th century when it was
utilized in the treatment of stubborn herpetic eruptions 13).

The sap from poison-oak leaves has irritant, narcotic, and stimulant
principles, and in small doses is a nervous system sedative. A tincture
of the sap is used for relieving nettle stings, ringworm, eczema, and
rheumatism (13).

SEED DISSEMINATION

At least 55 species of birds are responsible for the wide distribution
of poison-ivy seed (15). After eating the fruits of T. radicans, the
seeds are voided near trees, fences, and telephone lines (10). Because
of this, the pest is increasing throughout the country since the plant
is usually left un-molested in such areas (6)."

Old 11-05-2006, 11:43 PM posted to aus.gardens

On Mon, 08 May 2006 10:41:27 +1000, Jonno
wrote:

Jonno wrote:
Jonno wrote:
While there are many types of Ivy , most will give you trouble..
see here and ask around...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toxicodendron

http://www.inmygarden.org/archives/2...ing_poiso.html
Apparently, from memory it was grown in Australia early in the 19
century and exported for some reason. i believe it was medical. But
interesting stuff with dangerous consequences. Most Doctors seem to
know about it...

[snipped text here.......]

Thank you Jonno for all your trouble - very interesting.

Ruth.
Old 11-05-2006, 11:44 PM posted to aus.gardens

On Sat, 6 May 2006 13:30:20 +0000, godwin
wrote:

G'day Ruth, the trouble with poisoning it is that it's going to be
unsightly for a long time. I'd think the best bet is to get a young lad
in to clean it up, but if you think that's going to be too expensive
you'll have to find the main stem or stems where it comes out the
ground, cut away the outside bark wrap an old piece of towel or other
absorbent cloth around it and soak it with a strong solution of Roundup
or similar poison. he blokes down at the hardware will tell you the best
valur chemical for the job, but that's the best way of applying it.

If the weather is warm put some glad wrap over the cloth to keep it
from drying out to quickly.

Thank you godwin - I could get a uni lad looking for some extra
money, that's a good thought! And.for your other tips too.

Ruth.

Old 11-05-2006, 11:46 PM posted to aus.gardens

On Sun, 07 May 2006 23:31:23 +0930, Andrew Gabb

I have just realised that the ivy growing at the
end of our garden under the sycamore treee (melbourne)
is expanding and expanding across the front lawn.

Short of digging it up and my husband and I are not young
anymore, can I poison this in some way - we have no animals,
neither do the neighbours.

I've had the same problem. Roundup/Zero had little effect on ivy.

I did some research and the best way is to cut it back to about 30cm
of stalk then paint with blackberry killer (available in hardware
stores). You need to do this a couple of times as new leaves appear.

Thank you Andrew, as I mentioned in an earlier post, I could get a
young uni student in to do just that and then use the poison myself.

Ruth.

Ivy, Ivy & more ivy Roger Tonkin[_2_] United Kingdom 6 08-07-2016 09:48 PM
IVY IVY IVY JCYates United Kingdom 15 28-08-2008 11:22 AM
Geckos posting in HTML, offtopic, attaching binaries, using all caps, and getting too prolific in my Jay Bird Texas 0 22-06-2003 04:56 PM
Yellowing Leaves on a Lonicera "Japonica Hall's Prolific" Honeysuckle Alex Tegg United Kingdom 2 05-06-2003 09:20 AM
Yellowing Leaves on a Lonicera "Japonica Hall's Prolific" Honeysuckle Alex Tegg United Kingdom 1 04-06-2003 09:29 PM