Old 07-11-2006, 01:36 PM posted to aus.gardens

Default Water restrictions and gardens

Chookie wrote:
In article ,
"Farm1" please@askifyouwannaknow wrote:

:-)) I had to smile at that one. Sydney has been getting lovely
lots of rain. Not in the catchment of course but over many of the
burbs.
Not really. It has moisten the mulch/topsoil, but isn't really going
deep.

Well that's not what the TV weather reports have reported. Lots of
decent falls for months while the country has had sod all.

Hmph. It's true we had the wettest winter since 1999, according to the
Bureau, with 403mm. The problem is that even though June was cold, the temps
in July and Aug were above average (though the Aug rainfall was average).
Then September's rainfall was high, but we also had the hottest Sept ever...
followed by the hottest and driest Oct ever. And that hot September had the
August winds in it, too! The extra rain arrived at the right time for
establishing vegies, but of course it then evaporated.

IOW, it's the same here as everywhere else. The climate is hotter and
whackier. We do get more rain here, but it's less than we used to get between
El Ninos. We also don't get persistent rain much: it's much more showery and
intermittent than it used to be.

Yet Europe looks set for a chilly winter, and its already started...
Old 08-11-2006, 05:58 AM posted to aus.gardens

"Terryc" wrote in message
Farm1 wrote:

Well that's not what the TV weather reports have reported. Lots

of
decent falls for months while the country has had sod all.

Those along the coast get it. I'm about 25kms west of the coast and

it
really has been nothing. I am using a post hole digger to dig a hole

and
the soil is so dry it is like powder.

That makes sense.

Have you tried the old water in the hole and leave for a day trick?

Old 08-11-2006, 06:02 AM posted to aus.gardens

"Chookie" wrote in message
"Farm1" please@askifyouwannaknow wrote:

:-)) I had to smile at that one. Sydney has been getting

lovely
lots of rain. Not in the catchment of course but over many of

the
burbs.

Not really. It has moisten the mulch/topsoil, but isn't really

going
deep.

Well that's not what the TV weather reports have reported. Lots

of
decent falls for months while the country has had sod all.

Hmph. It's true we had the wettest winter since 1999, according to

the
Bureau, with 403mm.

You lucky buggers! :-))

The problem is that even though June was cold, the temps
in July and Aug were above average (though the Aug rainfall was

average).
Then September's rainfall was high, but we also had the hottest Sept

ever...
followed by the hottest and driest Oct ever. And that hot September

had the
August winds in it, too! The extra rain arrived at the right time

for
establishing vegies, but of course it then evaporated.

IOW, it's the same here as everywhere else. The climate is hotter

and
whackier.

But you've at least had rain. That record rainfall hasn't happened
elsewhere in NSW (except for record low falls).

We do get more rain here, but it's less than we used to get between
El Ninos. We also don't get persistent rain much: it's much more

showery and
intermittent than it used to be.

I think that applies everywhere these days.

Old 08-11-2006, 06:51 AM posted to aus.gardens

Farm1 wrote:

Have you tried the old water in the hole and leave for a day trick?

Thisa is exactly what I have just done. Clumps nicely and lifts out with
the manual hole digger. Finished the hole, Just looking for the pole and
bits to cement into it. Also need to work out what lugs and stuff to
weld on it before it goes up.

It also has to be guyed at it will be 5m up with only 500mm of concrete.
It is actually to fit on the corner of my garden bed for leg protection,
plus a few other mickey mouse stuff like replace webcam(s).

I'm debating whether I should install a bird house, but figure that can
be added later {:-).

Old 08-11-2006, 06:52 AM posted to aus.gardens

Farm1 wrote:

I think that applies everywhere these days.

Hunter Valley seems to be doing fine atm.

Old 08-11-2006, 11:30 AM posted to aus.gardens

"Farm1" please@askifyouwannaknow wrote in message
tell you for a fact it's raining in the catchment RIGHT NOW.
/looks again
yes.

About bloody time. It's missed it soooooo many times.

.... it's stopped now :-)

I used to be before I started using computers. Now I have to write a
word by longhand if I want to know if it's right. Sodding keyboards.

i need a phone in front of me to remember phone numbers (via muscle memory).
i always thought i'm prematurely senile though :-)

So only old men are grumblebums?

i wouldn't call a lady-person a grumblebum. but maybe that's just me.

How odd. But usenet is such an odd
beast. I've been mistaken for being an American, a black American,

black americans are still americans, no difference :-)

man, a woman and many other things besides.

hm. i might not capitalise, but i can parse. you can't be "mistaken" for
anything you actually are! (i'm leaning back towards speculating you are a
woman, though. not that it matters!!!)
medical nerd
it's true that there are not only two genders, and in fact there are a range
of (effective) genders in between, due to genetic factors.
/medical nerd

It's all in the eyes of
the beholder and depends so much on what one writes. But I can be
lots of thing too at different times in terms of personality (as can
anyone).

well, that's right, but equally people can misunderstand someone's tone or
intention. it's more difficult than one would think.

mm, people say that. then later on they say they got used to it.

I never have.

well i don't think we've known each other that long!
blush

why do i do it?

It's easy (or lazy depending on one's perspective).

no. like i said, i type just as fast with capitals. it's a habit, but i
won't go into where the habit sprang from. but it's not ease, nor laziness.

tch! i punctuate. you don't have to exaggerate.

Well you do use full stops, but beyond that............

are more full stops? g
not only do i use ?, but also " ' ; : - and, furthermore, !

it's
over!

Over? Then why reply???????

because, like you, now i'm just feeling the loooove! for example, my dh made
an absolutely spiffing roast dinner. and now i've told the world (or two or
three people anyway) i feel even better.
kylie

Old 15-11-2006, 04:34 AM posted to aus.gardens

Chookie writes:
We also don't get persistent rain much: it's much more showery and
intermittent than it used to be.

These days persistent rain persists for only 2 or 3 minutes, max.

Speaking of showers, but bathroom showers this time, there was discussion
in The Herald of survey results that showed the average Sydneysider runs
their shower for 8 minutes. That's conserving water??
Old 15-11-2006, 10:59 AM posted to aus.gardens

In article ,
John Savage wrote:

Speaking of showers, but bathroom showers this time, there was discussion
in The Herald of survey results that showed the average Sydneysider runs
their shower for 8 minutes. That's conserving water??

Some of them are people who have been in the habit of having multiple showers
per day (which I found mind-boggling when I first heard about it), or very
long ones. So they're learning, at least.

--
Chookie -- Sydney, Australia

Kerry Cue
Old 08-03-2011, 09:18 PM
Registered User

Hi There
I am new to worm farming and i didnt know where to start but just wanted to give it a go. So thought i would have a search around the internet to see what info was available and couldnt really find much! However i did find a really great book to download which was incredibly informative and really easy to read. Now I am so excited as i have a better understanding as a complete novice and i highly recommend it to anyone starting out.
I found it under this website: Beginners Guide to Starting a Worm Farm

would appreciate any further advice from anyone.

Allotment Lady
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick View Post
There is one thing I have noticed about water restrictions in
Melbourne. When people's lawns die out they are replaced by weeds and
large bare patches. The overall effect is to make the garden look
exceedingly bad. People just give up tending it altogether since no
matter what you do it will look bad.

Many gardens in my suburb were showpieces - now they look like the kind
of gardens that yobbo's have. When I drive across Melbourne at the end
of summer I see a parched strangled looking city that is a shadow of
its former self. Clearly it is a city that has lost its pride. State
Governments used to call Victoria the garden state. You'll note that
this description has dissapeared from the lexicon. It would be a joke
to continue using it.

There appears to be a change afoot regarding gardens, especially lawns.
Peter Cundall recently said something to the effect that lawns are a
thing of the past and appearred to be endorsing the new parched look of
Australian cities. I suspect he hasnt had sex in a long time.

New drought hardy gardens are being pushed. These generally consist of
large areas of gravel and half strangled looking flax type plants that
you see in deserts. I am reminded of a scene in the movie "Sparticus"
where Kirk Douglas is working in some sort of open cut mine. All you
see is gravel gravel gravel. These type of gardens are appalling - when
you compare them to a traditional garden like Melbourne's botanical
gardens the effect is stark.

What worries me is what fate lies in store for my garden. I have
invested a lot of time in it and take pride in it. In addition, it is
the only way I have of expressing my creativity. It's my own little
patch of the world that I regard as a tranquil refuge from a world
that's spinning off its hinges.Now it would seem that I am destined to
have a yobbo style garden or else one of those appalling gravel themed
gardens.