Old 23-10-2006, 02:57 AM posted to aus.gardens

Default Water restrictions and gardens

Terryc wrote:
Jonno wrote:
lucky we have the huge Thompson Dam." Huh?

Anthony O'Brien from Energy Australia says that is time taken up doing
activities such as shaving, playing with toys, singing, daydreaming
and brushing teeth.

"That's an activity that perhaps people can look at whether they need
to do that in the shower or whether they can just do it over the
sink," he said.

What a thick dipstick.
So, what is the difference between the water running continuously in the
hand basin whilst you shave and/or clean your teeth and it running
continuously in the shower for the extra time it takes to shave and/or
clean your teeth,.

Coming up to a long hot summer and I've just had Integral Energy out to
butcher my street side shade trees, including one poor struggling
Melaleuca amarillis[1] that would need a tone of dynamite to have a
icecube in hell's chance of touching the powerline.

[1] Yes, I know they can grow into a medium tree, in wet area, but we
are on a sandstone ridge and it has intense root competion with half the
dripzone covered by road and guttering and has done little other than
survive for 20 years.

Yeah you need a university education to make statements like that. It
seems like a lot of fake certificates were issued so the Government can
make them look important. Or is that impotent?
They are also capable of making other crazy laws so people get ripped of
and use their position to throw farmers of the land and buy up
properties really cheaply when a drought hits.
Then charge you for rain water when they claim the runoff would be
theirs if they hadnt built dams.
Your Government and Corporations.
Walking hand in hand
to screw the land...
Old 23-10-2006, 03:46 AM posted to aus.gardens

Farm1 wrote:
Huh? I know sod all about Chemistry but even I know Washing Soda is
sodium carbonate whereas salt is sodium chloride.

Sodium Carbonate (Na2CO3) is a salt. Sodium Chloride (NaCl) is table
salt, but there are many other salts.

Are all sodiums bad for soil or just in significant quantities or
what?

I would imagine that Sodium Carbonate would be just as harmful
as Sodium Chloride.

I attended a greywater workshop a couple of years ago with
Ross Mars, and he said that many washing detergents have
increased levels of salts to compensate for reduced phosphate
levels. He showed us a table showing phosphate and other salts
for dozens of brands. Interestingly, the liquid detergents all had
low salt levels, so the rule of thumb is to use liquid detergents
in preference to powders.

Old 23-10-2006, 05:50 AM posted to aus.gardens

wrote in message
Farm1 wrote:
Huh? I know sod all about Chemistry but even I know Washing Soda

is
sodium carbonate whereas salt is sodium chloride.

Sodium Carbonate (Na2CO3) is a salt. Sodium Chloride (NaCl) is table
salt, but there are many other salts.

Are all sodiums bad for soil or just in significant quantities or
what?

I would imagine that Sodium Carbonate would be just as harmful
as Sodium Chloride.

Thanks for the response. Do you know what type of salts are involved
in dryland salinity?

Old 23-10-2006, 06:48 AM posted to aus.gardens

Jonno wrote:

They are also capable of making other crazy laws so people get ripped of
and use their position to throw farmers of the land and buy up
properties really cheaply when a drought hits.

Then charge you for rain water when they claim the runoff would be
theirs if they hadnt built dams.
Your Government and Corporations.
Walking hand in hand
to screw the land...

We watch Landline and we had a good laugh about little Johnny and
"drought proofing"

If something like Cubbie station which sucks an enormous amount of water
out of local rivers is having trouble now, how in heck is the ordinary
farmer supposed to "drought proof" his farm.[1]

The wentworth group guys might be spot on; the 1950-1990s were the wet
years and now it is back to normal rainfall.

[1] the only way seems to be to explode an underground nuke to great a
big underground cavern, line with bottom half with water proofing and
fill with water (from where?), but you still have to pump the blighter
back to the surface.

Old 23-10-2006, 07:14 AM posted to aus.gardens

Terryc wrote:
What a thick dipstick.
So, what is the difference between the water running continuously in the
hand basin whilst you shave and/or clean your teeth and it running
continuously in the shower for the extra time it takes to shave and/or
clean your teeth,.

The idea is that you don't run the water continuously while shaving
or brushing your teeth. You brush/shave first, then rinse. It does
add up to quite a lot. I probably waste a litre or two a day brushing
my teeth in the shower.

Old 23-10-2006, 09:55 AM posted to aus.gardens

"Jen" wrote in message
The idea is that you don't run the water continuously while

shaving
or brushing your teeth. You brush/shave first, then rinse. It does
add up to quite a lot. I probably waste a litre or two a day

brushing
my teeth in the shower.

Do people actually brush their teeth in the shower?? That certainly

would
waste a lot of water. It's a totally ridiculous thing to do.

I do and my showers are still briefer than those of my extended family
who are all on town water. I keep wondering what the hell they are do
in the shower to take so long, and especially since they tell me they
don't do their teeth while they are showering.

Old 23-10-2006, 09:59 AM posted to aus.gardens

"Terryc" wrote in message

If something like Cubbie station which sucks an enormous amount of

water
out of local rivers is having trouble now, how in heck is the

ordinary
farmer supposed to "drought proof" his farm.[1]

Did you watch "Two men in a Tinnie" and then see the latest news item
on Cubbie? I was amazed at how much water Cubbie had when the Tinnie
show was on but bone dry in the latest news item. I can't believe
that Cubbie trys to store water in what is in effect massive
evaporation ponds and then trys to justify such irresponsible action
in such flat country. Simply beggars belief.

Old 23-10-2006, 10:33 AM posted to aus.gardens

Farm1 wrote:

Did you watch "Two men in a Tinnie" and then see the latest news item
on Cubbie? I was amazed at how much water Cubbie had when the Tinnie
show was on but bone dry in the latest news item. I can't believe
that Cubbie trys to store water in what is in effect massive
evaporation ponds and then trys to justify such irresponsible action
in such flat country. Simply beggars belief.

It beggars belief that the pollies allowed it.
Goes to show what the power of a political donation can do.

I was all set to talk the wife into moving to Qld (her home state) but
Beattie is turning out as bad as Joh ever was.
Old 23-10-2006, 10:34 AM posted to aus.gardens

wrote:

The idea is that you don't run the water continuously while shaving
or brushing your teeth.

Yep, I know this.
Personally, I think everyone should required to stop shaving as well.
That would save an enormous amount of money.

Old 23-10-2006, 12:04 PM posted to aus.gardens

"gardenlen" wrote in message
because the opposition where donkies and asses (and one of those
parties even put one of the asses back into the drivers sdeet although
none of them appeared impressed by his dismal performance), and the 18
year old vote because they think putting a tick on paper is a fun game
and they don't know shite from clay.

so he has his mandate (lesson learnt from the bespectacled gnome in
can'tberra), to now feed class 2 recycled sewerage into our fresh
water dams.

Len, what is wrong with recycled sewerage water being used as drinking
water? we have done it here for year. Treated sewerage and industrial water
is pumped back in to the rivers and taken down stream as drinking water.
Given that the daily flows of water dilute the sewered water, however the
process of drinking stuff that has been round once (or several times) isn't
that horrific.

rob

Old 23-10-2006, 12:25 PM posted to aus.gardens

Terryc wrote:
Farm1 wrote:

Did you watch "Two men in a Tinnie" and then see the latest news item
on Cubbie? I was amazed at how much water Cubbie had when the Tinnie
show was on but bone dry in the latest news item. I can't believe
that Cubbie trys to store water in what is in effect massive
evaporation ponds and then trys to justify such irresponsible action
in such flat country. Simply beggars belief.

It beggars belief that the pollies allowed it.
Goes to show what the power of a political donation can do.

I was all set to talk the wife into moving to Qld (her home state) but
Beattie is turning out as bad as Joh ever was.

Yeah then why did he get back in!!
Old 23-10-2006, 01:47 PM posted to aus.gardens
Jen Jen is offline

"Farm1" please@askifyouwannaknow wrote in message
"Jen" wrote in message
The idea is that you don't run the water continuously while

shaving
or brushing your teeth. You brush/shave first, then rinse. It does
add up to quite a lot. I probably waste a litre or two a day

brushing
my teeth in the shower.

Do people actually brush their teeth in the shower?? That certainly

would
waste a lot of water. It's a totally ridiculous thing to do.

I do

Why on earth would you do that?? There's no need to have any tap running
while brushing your teeth, and the shower uses a lot more water than a tap
in the basin does. Imagine how much water you're wasting! Even just having
the tap running in the basin while your brushing is bad enough, but having
the actual shower running - that is just stupid in these days of troubles
with drought and water shortages!!!!!

Some people just take longer in the shower because they like to wash more
thoroughly, or slower, or like to rinse more. But to have it going just
while brushing your teeth??!!!!!!!!

Jen

Old 23-10-2006, 01:51 PM posted to aus.gardens
Jen Jen is offline

"Jonno" wrote in message
u...
Terryc wrote:
wrote:

The idea is that you don't run the water continuously while shaving
or brushing your teeth.

Yep, I know this.
Personally, I think everyone should required to stop shaving as well.
That would save an enormous amount of money.

Most people I know brush while in peak traffic (Grin!)

This article from the Diamond Valley Leader Newspaper
A woman was fined last week for brushing her teeth - while driving a car.
The Patterson Lakes woman, 23 was spotted brushing her teeth in peak hour
traffic while driving north along Greensborough Highway about 9.10 am on
Thursday October 5. She was seen be Banyule Police who issued a $145 fine
for failing to have rpoepr control of a vehicle.
Now I ask you, was she or wasnt she trying to do the right thing?

The amount of water saved by domestic users is a piddle in the pond
compared to commercial users.. Its commercial users that are the problem.
Also if the Government was really serious about saving water they would
make toilets etc comply by having dual flush compulsory, as well as water
tanks....

Obviously you think the Government's not too serious about saving water. So
do something about it, or at least do what *you can* to lower your own use
of water - don't rely on the Government or someone else.

Jen