Old 26-12-2006, 06:54 AM posted to aus.gardens

Default Pond algae

Fishlover asked this a time back.
"Has anybody tried Phoslock for getting rid of green algae in
fishponds?"

Well after reading the various responses in particular the one about Hay, I
drove down a dirt track in the Hawkesbury and cut some wild oat hay.
Obvoiously seeded from passing trucks. Didn't know how much but I tied 3
bundles about 9" long half as thick as my wrist. The surface area is approx
2 square metres with various depths from beach to 60cm. It was pea green,
bloody awful. Seven days have apassed and I can now see the various depths.
Magic! Still has a bit to go but I have no doubt it is working.
It has a couple of small Koi, haundreds of relocated small river fish and 4
frogs. About a thousand taddies in smal buckets about the garden; spawn
taken prior to a smorgasbord for fish.

Cheers.

Old 27-12-2006, 12:52 AM posted to aus.gardens

Potaroo wrote:
Fishlover asked this a time back.
"Has anybody tried Phoslock for getting rid of green algae in
fishponds?"

Well after reading the various responses in particular the one about Hay, I
drove down a dirt track in the Hawkesbury and cut some wild oat hay.
Obvoiously seeded from passing trucks. Didn't know how much but I tied 3
bundles about 9" long half as thick as my wrist. The surface area is approx
2 square metres with various depths from beach to 60cm. It was pea green,
bloody awful. Seven days have apassed and I can now see the various depths.
Magic! Still has a bit to go but I have no doubt it is working.
It has a couple of small Koi, haundreds of relocated small river fish and 4
frogs. About a thousand taddies in smal buckets about the garden; spawn
taken prior to a smorgasbord for fish.

Cheers.

I told you so! Regards and happy it works for you.
Used to have trouble with my swimming pool and found this out, but it
didnt do much for my swimming pool, as I didnt try it.
Never use chemicals when its possible to use your head...And ask. The
Internet is like a large intelligence, and we can all pool our
knowledge...PS hadnt tried it but it stuck, and also saw various farm
dams with bales of hay on the sides. Then it clicked...You BEAUTY.
Nature knows best...
Old 27-12-2006, 12:53 AM posted to aus.gardens

Potaroo wrote:
[...]

Nature knows best... PS Nice of you to get back to us, it verifies what
we believed.
Old 27-12-2006, 06:06 AM posted to aus.gardens

Jen it sure will work in a buth-tub pond! Just put in a tied up bundle, say
9" long and as thick as your wrist.
PS
Thanks Jonno, much appreciated.

"Jen" wrote in message

"Potaroo" wrote in message
[...]

Could this be done in a small pond (i.e. old bathtub)?

Thanks

Jen

Old 27-12-2006, 06:33 PM posted to aus.gardens

g'day potaroo,

the simplest way is to use barley straw, and when it has done its job
use it in the garden as mulch.

have never heard of the wild oats hay remedy before but if it works
that's the go hey?

On Tue, 26 Dec 2006 17:54:08 +1100, "Potaroo"
wrote:

snipped

With peace and brightest of blessings,

len

--
"Be Content With What You Have And
A World That You May Not Understand."

http://www.lensgarden.com.au/

Old 28-12-2006, 12:40 AM posted to aus.gardens
Jen Jen is offline

"Potaroo" wrote in message
Jen it sure will work in a buth-tub pond! Just put in a tied up bundle,
say
9" long and as thick as your wrist.

Thanks. Is it just any sort of hay?

Jen

Old 28-12-2006, 08:05 PM posted to aus.gardens

Thanks. Is it just any sort of hay?
Probably.
Something in the hay acts as an antifungal and is probably copied by the
chemical in(d)(s)ustry and sold at great cost.
Suspended solids are now able to get to cling together, and drop to the
bottom of the pond using alum.
That should clear ir mostly. Fairly cheap from a pool shop Sorry have no
other freeby for you.

Old 28-12-2006, 10:07 PM posted to aus.gardens
Jen Jen is offline

"Jonno" wrote in message
Thanks. Is it just any sort of hay?

Probably.
Something in the hay acts as an antifungal and is probably copied by the
chemical in(d)(s)ustry and sold at great cost.
Suspended solids are now able to get to cling together, and drop to the
bottom of the pond using alum.
That should clear ir mostly. Fairly cheap from a pool shop Sorry have no
other freeby for you.

Thanks for your help

Jen

Old 28-12-2006, 11:43 PM posted to aus.gardens

Jen what I used was the oats hay that you often find growing along country
roads or in my case Racecourse Rd at Clarendon in the Hawkesbury. It would
be hard to 'find' barley straw as i don't think its that common.
Cheers

Old 29-12-2006, 04:23 AM posted to aus.gardens
Jen Jen is offline

"Potaroo" wrote in message
Jen what I used was the oats hay that you often find growing along country
roads or in my case Racecourse Rd at Clarendon in the Hawkesbury. It
would
be hard to 'find' barley straw as i don't think its that common.
Cheers

I'll keep an eye out.

Thanks

Jen

Old 29-12-2006, 07:35 AM posted to aus.gardens

"Jen" wrote in message
"Potaroo" wrote in message

Jen it sure will work in a buth-tub pond! Just put in a tied up

bundle,
say
9" long and as thick as your wrist.

Thanks. Is it just any sort of hay?

Barley straw is reputed to be the one to use, but I've not seen it for
sale anywhere.

Old 23-04-2011, 12:51 PM
Registered User

Green algae is a type of algae, its so conman algae. But you can do one thing why don't you have some shrimps in your pond or tank. They it algae so your problem will be solved.
Pond Kits