Old 11-09-2007, 04:50 AM posted to aus.gardens

Default Wood chip removal

Had to have a tree taken out a few days ago

The bloke who excavated the tree roots managed to spray wood chips across
the garden bed and over an adjacent pebble garden.

My problem: how do I get the chips out of the pebble garden?

Should I also remove them from the garden bed?

Thanks,

Harold.
(Lurker, mostly)

Old 11-09-2007, 05:51 AM posted to aus.gardens
col col is offline

On Tue, 11 Sep 2007 12:50:59 +1000, "Harold"
Harold.and.a.bit.more@clotmail wrote:

Had to have a tree taken out a few days ago

The bloke who excavated the tree roots managed to spray wood chips across
the garden bed and over an adjacent pebble garden.

Don't pay him until he fixes it up.
Got to watch these tree people.

We had a tree people come in to prune back the large fig tree a few
years back. We wanted only the branches near the fence taken away.
When the gardener found out it was a fig tree he asked for a few
cuttings, we thought he was only going to get cuttings from the
branches at the back which hardly produce any figs but he took them
from the front, the best side where the best figs were and it took a
number of the better branches.

My problem: how do I get the chips out of the pebble garden?

Should I also remove them from the garden bed?

How big is the area ?
Maybe before ot rains you can blow them out ?

Thanks,

Harold.
(Lurker, mostly)

Old 11-09-2007, 06:00 AM posted to aus.gardens

col wrote:
[...]

Try the old vacuum cleaner trick. Set it on blow, or use a leaf blower.
Old 12-09-2007, 02:20 AM posted to aus.gardens

"Harold" Harold.and.a.bit.more@clotmail wrote in message
Had to have a tree taken out a few days ago

The bloke who excavated the tree roots managed to spray wood chips across
the garden bed and over an adjacent pebble garden.

My problem: how do I get the chips out of the pebble garden?

don't know :-) if the pebbles are large, could they be swept?

Should I also remove them from the garden bed?

only if they're a problem - wood chips use nitrogen while breaking down, so
you don't want to starve any plants in there that need their nitrogen. if
the bed just has trees or shrubs or whatnot & there's not many chips anyway,
i'd probably just leave it, as removing them would be lots of trouble for
nothing gained. try to think of them as free mulch - lots of peeps mulch
with woodchip anyway, because it certainly has it's place in perennial beds
;-)

if you really think nitrogen starvation might be a problem, try a fine,
light rake, wielded gently, perhaps. but honestly, a little bit won't make a
difference & in the end there'll be a benefit.

if you have chips just everywhere, & you're really unhappy about the whole
thing, ring the tree dude & try to find a good solution with him.
kylie

Thanks,

Harold.
(Lurker, mostly)

Old 12-09-2007, 04:09 AM posted to aus.gardens

Thanks, all, for your suggestions.

I'll probably end up taking the lazy option and leave it until something
*has* to be done, and then curse myself for not starting earlier.

I was thinking of becoming a member of Procrastinators Anonymous, but then
discovered ... (too late!)

Cheers,

H.

do you have experience with tar and chip paving? postle Gardening 2 11-08-2005 03:56 PM
Ping Chip Stein Maloney Empire Lawns 4 16-12-2004 05:28 AM
Bark chip area Glen Able United Kingdom 2 16-11-2004 02:11 PM
Doris chip x cinnarbarina kenty ;-\) Orchids 8 22-09-2004 10:41 PM
do you have experience with tar and chip paving? postle Gardening 0 24-02-2004 06:32 PM