Old 25-12-2008, 08:52 AM posted to aus.gardens

Default Does anybody know what this fruit is ?!?

There's a strange vine of some sorts that's growing alongside/inside my
passionfruit vine ... i don't know if it's the next door neighbours plant or
if it's just a weed, or what.

I pulled one off and was easily able to break it in half with my fingers to
take this photo so you can see inside and out:
http://i44.tinypic.com/10ie9ds.jpg

It's the size of a small apricot, has a smooth (not hairy) skin that is
apricot-orange, and has deep red seeds inside grouped together similar to
passionfruit, that remind me of those from a pomegranate. It looks very
tempting to eat and I love fruit, so hopefully it's edible, but obviously im
not going to eat it until i can identify it

Thanks! :-)

Old 25-12-2008, 08:49 PM posted to aus.gardens

On Dec 25, 7:52*pm, "Dave -Turner" wrote:
There's a strange vine of some sorts that's growing alongside/inside my
passionfruit vine ... i don't know if it's the next door neighbours plant or
if it's just a weed, or what.

I pulled one off and was easily able to break it in half with my fingers to
take this photo so you can see inside and out:http://i44.tinypic.com/10ie9ds.jpg

It's the size of a small apricot, has a smooth (not hairy) skin that is
apricot-orange, and has deep red seeds inside grouped together similar to
passionfruit, that remind me of those from a pomegranate. *It looks very
tempting to eat and I love fruit, so hopefully it's edible, but obviously im
not going to eat it until i can identify it

Thanks! :-)

Looks like a banana passionfruit and has probably come from the
rootstock of your passionfruit vine. It is VERY vigorous (which is
why it is used as rootstock) and something of a noxious weed. The
fruit are edible, but not nearly as tasty as your average Nellie Kelly
or granadilla passionfruit.

Tish
Old 26-12-2008, 02:34 AM posted to aus.gardens

awesome, thankyou very much Tish, and Merry Christmas!

my Mum said they might be banana passionfruit but wasn't 100%, and my
memories of banana passionfruit were that they were more longer than these
roundish ones im getting so I wasn't sure either

Everything suddenly makes sense now lol ...

Three years ago i planted 2 x Nelly Kelly vines, but only one of them took
off (and currently has approx 20 unripe passionfruit on it at present) .....
I thought the other one was dead, but it turns out only the Nelly Kelly
graft of it is dead ... the rootstock has shot off a vine of its own which
has basically gone down the entire side of my fence now -- very vigorous,
like you said. It may even start causing problems for the Nelly Kelly vine
so I'll have to keep my eye on it to make sure they play well together

So now i've not only got a Nelly Kelly passionfruit vine, but also banana
passionfruit too lol ..... Christmas bonus! :-)

Old 26-12-2008, 08:41 AM posted to aus.gardens

ok well I've tried it, and you're right -- it's not anywhere near as tasty
as the Nelly Kelly it's growing besides lol
I remember trying a banana passionfruit when i was young but it was longer
and more elongated than the apricot-shaped ones I've got ... I guess the
ones I've got are just a weed-like variety chosen simply for the quality of
its rootstock

Old 28-12-2008, 08:59 PM posted to aus.gardens

The banana passionfruit I've eaten were long and more yellow than
orange, but it's some sort of passionfruit rootstock variety. I have a
mad rootstock invading my backyard, been trying to get rid of it for
years. I wouldn't be so cranky about it if it produced fruit of any
variety! Never planting a grafted passionfruit again, just not worth the
bother. The rootstock is way to invasive and useless.

good luck

jules

Old 28-12-2008, 09:37 PM
Registered User

Location: Highlands of Scotland
Smile

Wow looks just like a Passiflora or passion flower, fruit. Not only does it have edible fruit, but also has the most amazing exotic flowers. The edible part of the fruit is the pulp around the seed which is sweet and jelly like. The. Personally I would let it carry on growing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave -Turner[_3_] View Post
There's a strange vine of some sorts that's growing alongside/inside my
passionfruit vine ... i don't know if it's the next door neighbours plant or
if it's just a weed, or what.

http://i44.tinypic.com/10ie9ds.jpg

:-)
Old 28-12-2008, 09:41 PM
Registered User

Location: Highlands of Scotland

Looks like the fruit of the Passiflora caerula which is the hardier one they grow here in Britain. Maybe your passion vine is on a hardier rootstock for more vigour???
Old 29-12-2008, 08:51 AM posted to aus.gardens

hey Jules thanks very much for the feedback,

"jules" wrote in message
The banana passionfruit I've eaten were long and more yellow than
orange

same, that's why I didn't even recognise these as banana passionfruit ... I
guess the longer yellower ones are the nicer varieties, whereas this orange
one is chosen simply for its vigorous rootstock, with total disregard to the
quality of the fruit or weed-like growing potential due to the grafting.

I have a
mad rootstock invading my backyard, been trying to get rid of it for
years. I wouldn't be so cranky about it if it produced fruit of any
variety! Never planting a grafted passionfruit again, just not worth the
bother. The rootstock is way to invasive and useless.

I think I will chop my banana passionfruit vine in the next day or two,
because the fruit is afterall quite bland, and I don't want it taking over
the Nelly Kelly grafted vine which is currently doing pretty well. No signs
of its rootstock shooting off any banana passionfruit branches yet though so
she's going well.

It's only one physical banana passionfruit vine tho, so surely if I chop it
at its base and pull the rootstock out that should be the end of it ???

Cheers

Old 29-12-2008, 09:10 AM posted to aus.gardens

"jules" wrote in message
[...]

Alternatively, since you have a strong rootstock growing, why not cut it
back a bit (to say a foot long main stem) and graft a piece (or two?) of
your Nelly Kelly to it. Kill two birds with one stone - so to speak

Had similar problem with the graft taking over before I realised what
had happened. Unfortunately I chopped plant out before I thought about
it .... what if I graft to the vigorous growth :-(

avagoodone
giovani
Old 29-12-2008, 10:21 PM posted to aus.gardens

It's only one physical banana passionfruit vine tho, so surely if I chop it
at its base and pull the rootstock out that should be the end of it ???

hmmmm. good luck! reminds me of privet.

jules

Old 29-12-2008, 11:23 PM posted to aus.gardens

"jules" wrote in message ...

It's only one physical banana passionfruit vine tho, so surely if I chop

it
at its base and pull the rootstock out that should be the end of it ???

hmmmm. good luck! reminds me of privet.
jules

so even if i physically remove the rootstock there's a chance it'll spring
back up??? but .... how ???
again i'm only talking about the one rogue vine! :-)

Old 06-01-2009, 09:38 PM posted to aus.gardens

In article , jules wrote:

The banana passionfruit I've eaten were long and more yellow than
orange, but it's some sort of passionfruit rootstock variety. I have a
mad rootstock invading my backyard, been trying to get rid of it for
years. I wouldn't be so cranky about it if it produced fruit of any
variety! Never planting a grafted passionfruit again, just not worth the
bother. The rootstock is way to invasive and useless.

Nellie Kelly, right? I have one of them too -- the rootstock, that is.

--
Chookie -- Sydney, Australia

http://chookiesbackyard.blogspot.com/
Old 07-01-2009, 07:07 PM posted to aus.gardens

Dave -Turner wrote:
"jules" wrote in message ...
It's only one physical banana passionfruit vine tho, so surely if I chop

it
at its base and pull the rootstock out that should be the end of it ???

hmmmm. good luck! reminds me of privet.
jules

so even if i physically remove the rootstock there's a chance it'll spring
back up??? but .... how ???
again i'm only talking about the one rogue vine! :-)

Let us know how you go with that. It'd be nice to hear from a person who
actually beats it. I don't have a good record for beating these things
because I work full time so I don't really find the committment for it.
I did beat one privet once. There's two others I haven't beaten, and I
beat a running bamboo many years ago.
Old 07-01-2009, 09:35 PM posted to aus.gardens

On Thu, 08 Jan 2009 06:07:30 +1100, jules wrote:

Dave -Turner wrote:
"jules" wrote in message ...
It's only one physical banana passionfruit vine tho, so surely if I chop

it
at its base and pull the rootstock out that should be the end of it ???
hmmmm. good luck! reminds me of privet.
jules

so even if i physically remove the rootstock there's a chance it'll spring
back up??? but .... how ???
again i'm only talking about the one rogue vine! :-)

Let us know how you go with that. It'd be nice to hear from a person who
actually beats it. I don't have a good record for beating these things
because I work full time so I don't really find the committment for it.
I did beat one privet once. There's two others I haven't beaten, and I
beat a running bamboo many years ago.

With your privet, cut it off on a warm day (afternoon) when the sap is
flowing and IMMEDIATELY paint the stump with strain roundup,,,,wait a few
seconds and the stump will suck it up, repeat,,,,,,wait a bit longer,
repeat.......wait a bit longer........

Some of them will still come back, but I've yet to see them survive a
second round. I've done hundreds of privet like this and that is what
worked.

Kikuy, in my experience always requires follow up work with your arse on
the ground pulling up runners. It basically is a war of attrition as you
really need to get every little bit.

Maderiea/potato vine is the same.
Old 13-01-2009, 07:53 PM posted to aus.gardens

With your privet, cut it off on a warm day (afternoon) when the sap
is flowing and IMMEDIATELY paint the stump with strain
roundup,,,,wait a few seconds and the stump will suck it up,
repeat,,,,,,wait a bit longer, repeat.......wait a bit longer........

Some of them will still come back, but I've yet to see them survive a
second round. I've done hundreds of privet like this and that is
what worked.

That would still require committment! And I don't use roundup. The one I
beat was because it was next to my front door so every time I left the
house I could scrub off any new growth. The ones I haven't beat are in
my back yard...