Old 30-12-2008, 02:56 PM posted to aus.gardens
YMC YMC is offline

Default Roundup Zero effectiveness on Kikuyu grass lawn

Hi,

I have one section of my garden which is covered with Kikuyu grass. I want
to kill all that grass using roundup and zero. How long must I use it before
I erradicate it 100% completely?

Cheers

Old 30-12-2008, 03:36 PM posted to aus.gardens

On Wed, 31 Dec 2008 00:56:55 +1100, "YMC"
wrote:

Hi,

I have one section of my garden which is covered with Kikuyu grass. I want
to kill all that grass using roundup and zero. How long must I use it before
I erradicate it 100% completely?

Cheers

Till you run out of money......

Old 31-12-2008, 12:17 AM posted to aus.gardens

On Wed, 31 Dec 2008 00:56:55 +1100, YMC wrote:

Hi,

I have one section of my garden which is covered with Kikuyu grass. I want
to kill all that grass using roundup and zero. How long must I use it before
I erradicate it 100% completely?

That is a bit of how long is a piece of string question.
Spray it at 1% when on a warm day and give it a fortnight(?), repeat as
neccessary. Shortened if you are prepared to pull up runners
Old 31-12-2008, 04:11 AM posted to aus.gardens

IMHO I found Roundup sort of watered down and I would recommend Zero out of
the two. As I don't have a lawn I have used both for weeds.

Has anyone else found that with Roundup?
Katherine

Old 31-12-2008, 04:46 AM posted to aus.gardens
YMC YMC is offline

"terryc" wrote in message
news:495aac10$0$56715$c30e37c6@pit- That is a bit of how long is a piece of
string question.
Spray it at 1% when on a warm day and give it a fortnight(?), repeat as
neccessary. Shortened if you are prepared to pull up runners

I have the herbicide in the concentrate form. I'm using the dosage as 20ml
per 1 litre of water.

I'm pretty fed up of the kikuyu. It got into that section of the garden
about 8 years ago. We seldom go there and now its rampant.

Old 31-12-2008, 04:47 AM posted to aus.gardens
YMC YMC is offline

"jones" wrote in message
IMHO I found Roundup sort of watered down and I would recommend Zero out
of the two. As I don't have a lawn I have used both for weeds.

Has anyone else found that with Roundup?
Katherine

Are you using the concentrate or the pre-mix?

Old 31-12-2008, 06:08 AM posted to aus.gardens

"YMC" wrote in message
"jones" wrote in message
IMHO I found Roundup sort of watered down and I would recommend Zero out
of the two. As I don't have a lawn I have used both for weeds.

Has anyone else found that with Roundup?
Katherine

Are you using the concentrate or the pre-mix?

Sounds like the pre-mix to me.

If you buy glyphosate that is 360g/litre than it shouldn't make any
difference whatever the brand name is because it's all about the
concentration of glyphosate, not the brand.

Old 31-12-2008, 08:04 AM posted to aus.gardens

FarmI wrote:
"YMC" wrote in message
"jones" wrote in message
IMHO I found Roundup sort of watered down and I would recommend
Zero out of the two. As I don't have a lawn I have used both for
weeds. Has anyone else found that with Roundup?
Katherine

Are you using the concentrate or the pre-mix?

Sounds like the pre-mix to me.

If you buy glyphosate that is 360g/litre than it shouldn't make any
difference whatever the brand name is because it's all about the
concentration of glyphosate, not the brand.

Yup. Glyphosate is now out of patent (copywrite, whatever) so buying the
original "roundup" is not necessarily cost effective. Unless you want the
wetting agent, or the eleven secret herbs and spices.

David

Old 31-12-2008, 08:21 AM posted to aus.gardens

On Wed, 31 Dec 2008 00:56:55 +1100, YMC wrote:

Hi,

I have one section of my garden which is covered with Kikuyu grass. I
want to kill all that grass using roundup and zero. How long must I use
it before I erradicate it 100% completely?

Impossible to say, so many variables involved, but the Kikuyu is bound to
bounce back here and there over time.

If the roundup is properly applied and at a good dose, I'd say it should
be looking rather dead within 3 weeks time.

If the Kikuyu hasn't had much water lately, I'd water it the day before
you plan to spray it, the plants don't seem to take up the glysophate
(sp?) as efficiently during prolonged bouts of dry weather in my
experience.

I've been able to reduce the recommended dose by a third if the previous
day was wet, and the following day is drizzly and overcast, or has very
light rain. Perfect conditions to apply roundup...

--
"Some days we don't let the line move at all. We call those weekdays"
Patty and Selma Bouvier, 1996
Old 31-12-2008, 11:51 AM posted to aus.gardens

Hi,
I lived on a dairy farm as a kid where kikuyu was very welcome in the
paddocks, but not so welcome in the vegetable garden. We didn't have roundup
or zero, we had consistency which is all that is needed.
I would advise one dose of roundup to kill off the present crop and then 10
minutes of your time every second day. You can get rid of any weed that way.
A better idea, if your council will allow it, is to run wire netting around
your problem area and put in a few hens. They'll destroy your kikuya and pay
you with eggs. When all the kikuya is gone, if the kids haven't become over
fond of them, you can then eat the hens. Very cost effective.
Cheers,
Dan

Old 31-12-2008, 03:26 PM posted to aus.gardens
YMC YMC is offline

"Jeßus" wrote in message
If the Kikuyu hasn't had much water lately, I'd water it the day before
you plan to spray it, the plants don't seem to take up the glysophate
(sp?) as efficiently during prolonged bouts of dry weather in my
experience.

I've been able to reduce the recommended dose by a third if the previous
day was wet, and the following day is drizzly and overcast, or has very
light rain. Perfect conditions to apply roundup...

I'm surprised. I really am. Well, that's great cos I appiled the roundup
20ml per litre - and the next day we had some very slight rain and it was
generally overcast.

Old 01-01-2009, 12:20 AM posted to aus.gardens

Are you using the concentrate or the pre-mix?

Didn't look - just got it from Kmart on their shelves. Will have a look and
report back. Thanks

Katherine

Old 02-01-2009, 02:05 AM posted to aus.gardens

YMC wrote:
Hi,

I have one section of my garden which is covered with Kikuyu grass. I want
to kill all that grass using roundup and zero. How long must I use it before
I erradicate it 100% completely?

Cheers

First the tree hugging green organic way
http://www.organicpathways.co.nz/bus...story/400.html

Have been watching this thread as down south the stuff is a HUGE pest
and has taken over the wetlands no end

From an old trial paper in NZ
"
Conclusions and
recommendations
It is clear that all of these herbicides have some effectiveness in
controlling
kikuyu without affecting L. oleraceum . Particularly good control is
provided
by Targa Centurion with Conqueror crop oil, Gallant with Uptake
and Fusilade with Conqueror crop oil. Because Gallant was the only
herbicide tested with label directions for treatment of kikuyu it is
recommended that this be used with Uptake at the following rates to control
kikuyu.
Knapsack, 60 mL/10 Lwith 100 mL/L Uptake
Gallant concentrations;
Water rate of 500 L/ha
(NZ agrichemical manual 1998/99)
End of quote

another source http://www.ipm.ucdavis.edu/PMG/PESTNOTES/pn7458.html

However, I have had success with baking soda and boiling water then
dig up the runners and just keep hitting hard

Also it does not like SALT But that may bring other issues later on for
your lawn unless you have access to heaps of gypsum

HTH