GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   whoops! How do i quickly ripen a green passionfruit? (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/australia/180694-whoops-how-do-i-quickly-ripen-green-passionfruit.html)

Dave -Turner[_3_] 08-01-2009 02:53 PM

whoops! How do i quickly ripen a green passionfruit?

After stuffing my face full with half a dozen homegrown Nelly Kelly
passionfruit tonight I decided 6 just wasnt enough, so I went out the back
again in the dark, and accidentally picked off one that was green. I have a
feeling it wouldve started turning purple in the next few days anyway as its
quite large, but at the moment its green all over.

Im just wondering if anybody has any tips that might help ripen it up to the
point where I can eat it ... for example should i leave it outside in full
sun or shaded or ... ?

Thanks

Jonno[_18_] 09-01-2009 07:48 AM

whoops! How do i quickly ripen a green passionfruit?

Exposure of mature-green passion fruits to 100 ppm ethylene for 1-2 days
accelerates their ripening. Once ripening begins exogenous ethylene
treatment is unnecessary because the fruits produce high ethylene
concentrations.

Putting them in a brown bag with ripe bananas or ripened passion fruit
(skins?) will accelerate the ripening at home.

. au...

Dave -Turner[_3_] 09-01-2009 10:26 AM

"Jonno" wrote in message
Exposure of mature-green passion fruits to 100 ppm ethylene for 1-2 days
accelerates their ripening. Once ripening begins exogenous ethylene
treatment is unnecessary because the fruits produce high ethylene
concentrations.

i'm aware of ethylene used for bananas so i was wondering if it might have a
similar result

Putting them in a brown bag with ripe bananas or ripened passion fruit
(skins?) will accelerate the ripening at home.

ahh bugger, I just got back from the supermarket half an hour ago - without
bananas!
I do however have the leftover skins from last nights pigout so i'll try
sitting them in a plastic bag in the sun (partial shade -- exactly where the
passionfruit vine is)

Cheers!

Jonno[_18_] 09-01-2009 12:15 PM

"Jonno" wrote in message
Exposure of mature-green passion fruits to 100 ppm ethylene for 1-2 days
accelerates their ripening. Once ripening begins exogenous ethylene
treatment is unnecessary because the fruits produce high ethylene
concentrations.

i'm aware of ethylene used for bananas so i was wondering if it might have
similar result

Putting them in a brown bag with ripe bananas or ripened passion fruit
(skins?) will accelerate the ripening at home.

ahh bugger, I just got back from the supermarket half an hour ago -
without
bananas!
I do however have the leftover skins from last nights pigout so i'll try
sitting them in a plastic bag in the sun (partial shade -- exactly where
the
passionfruit vine is)

Cheers!

A brown paper bag would be preferable, and yes, re skins, that may work
too....

loosecanon 09-01-2009 03:38 PM

"Jonno" wrote in message
[...]

Ah they gas banana's with ethylene to make them ripen. Apples release the
gas naturally.

Gary Triffitt 27-06-2012 10:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave -Turner[_3_] (Post 827002)
After stuffing my face full with half a dozen homegrown Nelly Kelly
passionfruit tonight I decided 6 just wasnt enough, so I went out the back
again in the dark, and accidentally picked off one that was green. I have a
feeling it wouldve started turning purple in the next few days anyway as its
quite large, but at the moment its green all over.

Im just wondering if anybody has any tips that might help ripen it up to the
point where I can eat it ... for example should i leave it outside in full
sun or shaded or ... ?

Thanks

I am looking for the same answer. our Nelly Kelly has ahuge crop but is confused by the seasonal changes and they are all green!

i woluld appreciate any help here

Thanks