Old 14-08-2009, 11:48 PM posted to aus.gardens

Default Worms

I did a spot of weeding round the caulies yesterday & upset a worm. This is
a new bed started last year with soil from the garden shop and lots of good
gear added. I was suprised by the worm as the area surrounding the garden is
good solid (except for giant cracks) black clay, Darling Downs type. Getting
some sand today so the dogs don't disappear down the holes.

Old 15-08-2009, 12:17 PM posted to aus.gardens

"SG1" wrote in message
I did a spot of weeding round the caulies yesterday & upset a worm. This is
a new bed started last year with soil from the garden shop and lots of good
gear added. I was suprised by the worm as the area surrounding the garden
is good solid (except for giant cracks) black clay, Darling Downs type.
Getting some sand today so the dogs don't disappear down the holes.

Congratulations! I too know the excitement of finding the first worm in an
otherwise arid bed. Enjoy.

Old 16-08-2009, 01:10 PM posted to aus.gardens

On Sat, 15 Aug 2009 08:48:35 +1000, "SG1" wrote:

I did a spot of weeding round the caulies yesterday & upset a worm.

I hope you gave comfort to the poor worm that you upset! The poor thing might get suicidal.

Old 16-08-2009, 11:34 PM posted to aus.gardens

wrote in message
On Sat, 15 Aug 2009 08:48:35 +1000, "SG1" wrote:

I did a spot of weeding round the caulies yesterday & upset a worm.

I hope you gave comfort to the poor worm that you upset! The poor thing
might get suicidal.

Sure did covered up my discovery, so the birds that share the dogs water
would not have a tasty snack. SWMBO found some more in an older part of the
garden. I am amazed how they get there though.....

Old 18-08-2009, 10:31 AM posted to aus.gardens

"SG1" wrote in message

wrote in message
On Sat, 15 Aug 2009 08:48:35 +1000, "SG1" wrote:

I did a spot of weeding round the caulies yesterday & upset a worm.

I hope you gave comfort to the poor worm that you upset! The poor thing
might get suicidal.

Sure did covered up my discovery, so the birds that share the dogs water
would not have a tasty snack. SWMBO found some more in an older part of
the garden. I am amazed how they get there though.....

isn't it brilliant!

i was using the last of a pile of horse poo the other day & it was full of
compost worms, and i thought "how did they get there?" and yet, they do.

sometimes i can be extremely slow-witted (no, really!! ;-) & have spent a
while worrying about the vigour of my worms - when i dig one up by accident,
why do they just lie there?? is there something wrong with them?? the other
day i realised they have to play dead when hauled out into the uncaring
world, otherwise they get eaten immediately.

this realisation only took several years, so i should be an outright genius
by the time i'm 95.
:-)
kylie

Old 19-08-2009, 02:47 AM posted to aus.gardens

"0tterbot" wrote in message
sometimes i can be extremely slow-witted (no, really!! ;-) & have spent a
while worrying about the vigour of my worms - when i dig one up by
accident, why do they just lie there?? is there something wrong with
them?? the other day i realised they have to play dead when hauled out
into the uncaring world, otherwise they get eaten immediately.

this realisation only took several years, so i should be an outright
genius by the time i'm 95.

LOL. And other great post. Just as well I wasn't drinking coffee when I
read this one or the computer screen would have worn it.

You must have felt like a dumb clutz when you had your "Eureka!" moment :-))

Old 20-08-2009, 12:28 AM posted to aus.gardens

"0tterbot" wrote in message
sometimes i can be extremely slow-witted (no, really!! ;-) & have spent a
while worrying about the vigour of my worms - when i dig one up by
accident, why do they just lie there?? is there something wrong with
them?? the other day i realised they have to play dead when hauled out
into the uncaring world, otherwise they get eaten immediately.

this realisation only took several years, so i should be an outright
genius by the time i'm 95.

LOL. And other great post. Just as well I wasn't drinking coffee when I
read this one or the computer screen would have worn it.

You must have felt like a dumb clutz when you had your "Eureka!" moment
:-))

mostly, i was just relieved :-)
(it's a worry how long a bit of clarity can take!!!!!)
kylie

Old 08-03-2011, 07:49 PM
Registered User

Hi There
I am new to worm farming and i didnt know where to start but just wanted to give it a go. So thought i would have a search around the internet to see what info was available and couldnt really find much! However i did find a really great book to download which was incredibly informative and really easy to read. Now I am so excited as i have a better understanding as a complete novice and i highly recommend it to anyone starting out.
I found it under this website: Beginners Guide to Starting a Worm Farm

would appreciate any further advice from anyone.

Allotment Lady

Quote:
Originally Posted by SG1[_3_] View Post