Old 16-02-2010, 05:35 AM posted to aus.gardens

Default Indain Mynas

There is a group in Canberra dedicated to cutting the numbers of indian
mynas. There is probably no hope of eradication, but their efforts tip
the balance back to the natives a bit.

Their website contains a lot of useful info, including a trap.

Pete

http://www.indianmynaaction.org.au/
Old 16-02-2010, 08:41 AM posted to aus.gardens

Pete wrote:
There is a group in Canberra dedicated to cutting the numbers of indian
mynas. There is probably no hope of eradication, but their efforts tip
the balance back to the natives a bit.

Their website contains a lot of useful info, including a trap.

Pete

http://www.indianmynaaction.org.au/

There's a huge camphor laurel at the end of our street and every Indian
Myna for miles roosts there every evening. I've often wondered why,
since the rotten things are communal roosters, they can't send a nice
man with a cannon net and a few canisters of CO2. It would be as humane
as anything else and *so* simple.

--
Trish Brown {|:-}

Newcastle, NSW, Australia
Old 16-02-2010, 09:26 AM posted to aus.gardens

On Tue, 16 Feb 2010 18:41:43 +1100, Trish Brown wrote:

There's a huge camphor laurel at the end of our street and every Indian
Myna for miles roosts there every evening. I've often wondered why,
since the rotten things are communal roosters, they can't send a nice
man with a cannon net and a few canisters of CO2. It would be as humane
as anything else and *so* simple.

A flame thrower would be more fun.

Old 16-02-2010, 12:31 PM posted to aus.gardens

"Pete" wrote in message
There is a group in Canberra dedicated to cutting the numbers of indian
mynas. There is probably no hope of eradication, but their efforts tip
the balance back to the natives a bit.

Their website contains a lot of useful info, including a trap.

Pete

http://www.indianmynaaction.org.au/

If you look at the Presidents Report for 2008-09, you will see that since
the project started Indian Myna numbers have dropped dramatically. when the
project started they were the 3rd most abundant bird in Canberra and at the
time of the report, they'd dropped to the 12th most abundant bird.

That's pretty impressive.

Old 17-02-2010, 06:07 AM posted to aus.gardens

On Tue, 16 Feb 2010 22:31:54 +1100, "FarmI" ask@itshall be given wrote:

If you look at the Presidents Report for 2008-09, you will see that since
the project started Indian Myna numbers have dropped dramatically. when the
project started they were the 3rd most abundant bird in Canberra and at the
time of the report, they'd dropped to the 12th most abundant bird.

That's pretty impressive.

There's another person in Sydney's Hills district who builds Indian Myna traps. He sells
them to councils who then loan them to the public. The number of Indian Mynas around here
has halved over the past few years.

Old 15-03-2010, 09:40 AM posted to aus.gardens

Trish Brown writes:
Pete wrote:
There is a group in Canberra dedicated to cutting the numbers of indian
mynas. There is probably no hope of eradication, but their efforts tip
the balance back to the natives a bit.

Their website contains a lot of useful info, including a trap.

Pete

http://www.indianmynaaction.org.au/

There's a huge camphor laurel at the end of our street and every Indian
Myna for miles roosts there every evening. I've often wondered why,
since the rotten things are communal roosters, they can't send a nice
man with a cannon net and a few canisters of CO2. It would be as humane
as anything else and *so* simple.

So simple, and *so* easy.

A local council in Sydney hatched a cunning scheme to trap hundreds of
indian mynas by throwing nets over 3 or 4 large palm trees where the
pests had taken to roosting each evening. Portable lighting was set up
at the ready, cherry pickers were brought in to drape the nets, and
staff at the local zoo stood by to humanely euthanise all the captured
birds.

Just after dusk, at a given signal the plan went into operation: nets
were thrown and tied off, powerful lights turned night into day, and
amid the din of hundreds of squarking mynas people worked feverishly to
extract them from the nets and shove them into cages. When the drama
was over and the nets finally emptied, a waiting van sped off to the
zoo with its hapless cargo of captured mynas. All three of them.

Old 15-03-2010, 10:09 AM posted to aus.gardens

Like the mynas, where there's one posting, there's three!
Old 15-03-2010, 02:12 PM posted to aus.gardens

John Savage wrote:
Like the mynas, where there's one posting, there's three!

ROTFL! I was thinking that the use of a cannon net would be a bit more -
erm - sotto voce than a honking great cherry-picker being erected near
the tree. Cannon nets work fabulously well on shorebirds, which are
skittish and tend to nick off at the drop of a - well - of a net.

Just a thought, though... ;-D

--
Trish Brown {|:-}

Newcastle, NSW, Australia
Old 31-03-2010, 10:13 AM posted to aus.gardens

Default Indian Mynahs (WAS Indain Mynas)

On Mon, 15 Mar 2010 I wrote:
A local council in Sydney hatched a cunning scheme to trap hundreds of
indian mynas by throwing nets over 3 or 4 large palm trees where the
pests had taken to roosting each evening.

I see two major problems with trapping pest bird species in suburbia.
While many people might be willing to set a cage trap in their backyard,
or to allow someone else to set a trap, the need to implement a humane
execution method is a major obstacle. Setting the trap is the easy
part, for your average urban dweller killing whatever you catch on a
daily basis is another matter.

Secondly, there are many animal lovers and well-meaning souls who abhor
culling or killing for any reason; you see them distributing bucketsful
of food for pigeons, mynahs, stray cats, etc. These people would be
upset at the sight (or mere thought) of birds that they feed being
trapped and killed by a neighbour. Wide-spread trapping would be a PR
nightmare.

It was to address both of these concerns, that the UK employed a bird
control program which involves two men in a van, and a long ladder. The
nimbler man climbs the ladder to access the bird's nest and each egg is
given a vigorous shaking to break up its internal membrane and ensure
it can not develop into a chick. The "scrambled" egg is then returned
to the nest and left for the birds to continue to sit on. By the time
the parent birds find that the egg is not hatching, it is too late in
the season to begin again. (Where the female does have time to lay a
second batch of eggs, I guess the men must be summoned to repeat their
procedure.) [Wondering to self: maybe early in the season it might be
better to leave the parents with one viable egg, so that in the event
of the the men being unable to return in time to destroy a second brood
of eggs, the birds would not attempt a second hatching. Raising a
single chick is still preferable to raising multiple chicks. Two to
four fledglings seems to be the norm for Indian mynahs around here.]

I can't remember which species of bird the UK program involved. Maybe
it was something like the crane. I would think that dunking the egg
into a thermos of hot water for a few mins might achieve a similar
result.

When each pair of birds is in this way consistently prevented from
reproducing, the numbers of that pest species must eventually fall.
As far as controlling our urban bird pests, authorities could provide
this as a free service to households, or they could impose a modest
charge.